to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

NINO allocation for PIP

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I have a lady coming in to see me as she is getting the run around trying to make a claim to PIP. She is the wife of a British Citizen who is in full time work and she has never worked or claimed in the UK. There are no restrictions on her passport.
When she calls the PIP claim line, they tell her she needs to contact HMRC and HMRC then tell her she needs to make a claim first.
Can you point me in the direction of guidance to quote to the PIP helpline, the only thing I have found is at ADM A2148 that says notional entitlement to benefit needs to be established before the clt is referred to the NINO allocation service.
Clt has a brain tumour and is terminally ill but the consultant is being a pain about the 6 month rule and won’t issue a DS1500 so she can really do without the hassle from the DWP and HMRC. I’m going to try the GP for a DS1500 now.

thanks
Anne

S Taylor
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Macmillan Caring Locally, Christchurch

Send message

Total Posts: 61

I had a similar case earlier this year. I phoned the PIP claimline and made the claim on the patient’s behalf under Special Rules with a DS1500. The claim was accepted without any problems. Once they’d seen a verified copy of his passport they issued a NINo and awarded his PIP pretty quickly. I spoke to the case manager dealing with his case who was actually really helpful. One of the rare occasions where we were working together to get things sorted and do our best for the client!

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

Thanks for that, unfortunately they have been trying to claim for the last 10 days, so hopefully when I phone with all the information this afternoon it will go through more smoothly but I am aware that it may take a request to speak to a supervisor to get things started.