to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Problems with complaints

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Is anyone having problems getting the DWP to respond to complaints? I have 2 clients, both of whom have issues with ESA. Both cases have been going on for months and I have just sent my 3rd letter of complaint on both, as I have not received any response at all, not even an acknowledgement. Next step is MP’s but would be grateful if anyone has any ideas on the fastest way to progress these.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

I’ve certainly had similar experiences in the past, with no replies being forthcoming or what responses that were provided being useless, as well as blocks put in place of escalating particular complaints in the latter situaiton. This then leads into complaints about the complaint handling as well as the original complaint.

MP’s involvement does often seem to dramatically change this approach from DWP perspective.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1963

I’ve got a list called ‘DWP No Reply’. It is getting longer. The CRT that I deal with is very good, but getting an answer out of anyone else is very, very variable at best.

I’ve even written to one Benefit Centre in reply to a letter from them to the client about JSA, only for them to say they don’t do JSA claims so they won’t answer. They couldn’t explain why their address was on the JSA letter, and had to be argued with about sending the letter to the ‘correct’ address to get an answer.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks. Looks like I’m in for an even longer wait. They used to have SLA’s in the good old days before austerity.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Yup, small backlog but growing. Not necessarily dealt with any great competence when you do get a response either. However, escalating via the correspondence email address correspondence@dwp etc. takes you straight to Operations Manager level and introduces some hitherto lacking focus and accuracy. That bit works very well.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 29 August 2017 04:15 PM

Yup, small backlog but growing. Not necessarily dealt with any great competence when you do get a response either. However, escalating via the correspondence email address correspondence@dwp etc. takes you straight to Operations Manager level and introduces some hitherto lacking focus and accuracy. That bit works very well.

Thanks Mike, that’s really helpful.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Fingers crossed.

Last response I got from them was excellent. Basically said HMCTS don’t know what they’re talking about and unfortunately nor did we. How about we do this to solve it and if that isn’t good enough give us a ring on this number and we’ll sort out. All worked too.

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Same as no response several cases. Ring up reported logged as received but not dealt with. Increasing problems with HMRC and latterly PIP. ATOS meanwhile….....ten out of ten for promptness, investigation and response

[ Edited: 30 Aug 2017 at 03:47 pm by ikbikb ]
CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 29 August 2017 04:15 PM

3rd complaint was sent on one of the cases on 17/08 to senior management at the JCP. Email sent to the above this morning and an hour later I got a call from the manager at the JCP apologising profusely that it has taken 5 letters to get anywhere. Coincidence? Maybe. I’ve not had a call on the other one yet.