to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Is this a record

Brian Fletcher
forum member

Welfare Rights, Wigan & Leigh Carers Centre, Wigan

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Client claims ESA as he was suffering from PTSD arising from a family matter.

I contacted them because, apparently he had not had a WCA and he was still on assessment rate. They ring the client saying ooops, my bad, we appear to have made a bit of a mistake, so we will sort it out. He then has a WCA only 3 weeks ago, where there is no surprise that he is found not to qualify at all.

He originally claimed ESA in 2012; a full five years without even a sniff of a WCA.

Brian Fletcher
forum member

Welfare Rights, Wigan & Leigh Carers Centre, Wigan

Send message

Total Posts: 101

As a postscript.

DWP contacted client by phone to say that he was not entitled to any component arrears in addition to his assessment rate, as he had not undergone an assessment. Now he has, and he doesn’t qualify, they say he gets nothing.

After a brief discussion this afternoon with the ‘manager’ concerned, which mentioned issues like Article 6 and a breach of rules of natural justice, they’ve now decided he does qualify for WRAG, and they are going to calculate his back pay.

ASH
forum member

Welfare officer - St Christopher's Hospice, SE London

Send message

Total Posts: 110

I have recently come across 2 forgotten WCAs 9 and 12 months later with my clients and I was speaking yesterday to someone working with young people who mentioned the same thing.  It makes me wonder how widespread it is.  These are all people with high rate care dla or edl pip.

[ Edited: 14 Aug 2017 at 09:55 am by ASH ]