to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Council tax support and two child limit

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Does anyone know whether the two child limit has been imposed in their, or any other, council tax reduction schemes in England and Wales?

keith
forum member

Principal WRO - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 68

It hasn’t been introduced in Northumberland this year. Council tax reduction schemes should go out to consultation for changes and the timetable for getting to a position to set council tax means councils probably need to consult no later than autumn to change their scheme from April the following year. I expect that our scheme will change to include the two child limit from April 2018.

Of course, should there be yet another General Election or some unexpected decisions made by the current coalition of chaos…

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

Daphne - 16 June 2017 01:03 PM

Does anyone know whether the two child limit has been imposed in their, or any other, council tax reduction schemes in England and Wales?

Many LAs in England have applied a local two child limit - my very rough guess would be around 1 in 3 of them this year - with varying degrees of transparency, consultation and member involvment in the decision.

Not in Wales, though - I don’t think that LAs there have any discretion to apply such a restriction, do they?