× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Forum search problem….

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Am trying a forum search and I want to look in only two areas from the drop down list - Housing Benefit and Decision Making and Appeals. This appears possible because by using the Ctrl button and selecting with my mouse, I can highlight these two only.

But the results?

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/search_results/02986b12112480bd20ecbabe72a3063c/

edited to add - the problem appears to be the HB section. Searching that section on its own, rather than in conjunction with another section gives the same results…

[ Edited: 8 Jun 2017 at 01:45 pm by past caring ]
shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

hi .... seems to be working for me ... what word or phrase are you searching for? and are you selecting any/all words or exact match?

(nb - we are looking into some other problems with the forum search, but this wasn’t one of them!)

cheers - shawn

past caring
forum member

Send message

I was searching for ‘reg 104’  - but even changing the search term to ‘underlying entitlement’ results in the same problem….

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

cheers .. looks like that is related ... leave it with us

(ps ... i’ll respond to your other post re trying to find the old thread .. think i may have it for you)

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

we’ve taken the big hammer out and i think the forum search issue should now be fixed ... let us know if not

past caring
forum member

Send message

Cheers Shawn - but with Clegg the Tory enabler getting his just deserts, fantasist Nuttal having to fall on his sword and May having to get into bed with playground locking-up psychos in the DUP, it’s not the main thing on my mind the morning!! :) :) :) :)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Rightsnet have a big hammer. I am reassured that anything can be fixed.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Discussion forum searching now has to be done by selecting which forum you want to search.

Why can’t you have a search all areas of the forum option still?

If I don’t know which forum the thread that I am searching for is in, I now have to systematically go through each of the forums one by one and make sure I allow at least 10 seconds in between searches, which is frustrating and takes a great deal of time.

Hope you might be able to tweak, thanks folks.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

Hey, what have you done over the weekend?

I can see how the new quick search bar is convenient to launch a forum search without leaving the page you were just on, but for the reasons Paul mentions would it be possible to have the option of visiting the advanced forum search page as well - the one that was there last week? Thanks

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 05 February 2018 10:51 AM

Discussion forum searching now has to be done by selecting which forum you want to search. Why can’t you have a search all areas of the forum option still?

HB Anorak - 05 February 2018 11:03 AM

I can see how the new quick search bar is convenient to launch a forum search without leaving the page you were just on, but for the reasons Paul mentions would it be possible to have the option of visiting the advanced forum search page as well ...

Hi both -

Yes, apologies, we’ve been having some real problems with forum search .... the main problem was arising when the search returned lots of results (and, with the forums holding 7+ years of posts, searches were often returning lots of results) .... the results were then all a bit random which was less than useful! As an interim solution we’ve moved to a forum by forum search, which as you say also has its drawbacks, but at least it’s returning accurate results. We are however continuing to explore alternative options ....

Cheers - Shawn

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Nice one Shawn, thanks very much and hope you can get something sorted in due course.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Clearly Shawn needs something more than his “big hammer”.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Quick update .... we’ve been working on adding an ‘all forums’ search option and think we’ve hit on a Google-related solution .... hope to have something up and running within a week or so ...

past caring
forum member

Send message

Hope so - things are a bit of a nightmare as they are. e.g. I can remember contributing to a discussion I want to be able to find again, but even the ‘My posts’ button only shows one page of results and that’s it…..

[ Edited: 2 Mar 2018 at 11:50 am by shawn mach ]
Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Doing a search like this can give decent results:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:rightsnet.org.uk++“past+caring”+SEARCH+TERMS

(then replace SEARCH TERMS in the google searchbox with whatever you’re looking for)

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Jon (CHDCA) - 23 February 2018 04:48 PM

Doing a search like this can give decent results:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:rightsnet.org.uk++“past+caring”+SEARCH+TERMS

(then replace SEARCH TERMS in the google searchbox with whatever you’re looking for)

Hi Jon -

Yes, that’s our direction of travel .... though displaying results in date order (with the option of also reverting to displaying results according to what Google considers to be ‘relevance’)

This is where we’re at at the moment: https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?cx=017445333600222955249:hpy0nyihsc0&ie=UTF-8&sort=date&q=#gsc.tab=0

Next task is to get Google to remove the adverts from the results pages!

Cheers - Shawn

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

past caring - 23 February 2018 04:35 PM

....I can remember contributing to a discussion I want to be able to find again, but even the ‘My posts’ button only shows one page of results and that’s it…..

Hi PC ... sorry for the delay in being able to get this one fixed, but it should be sorted now ..

Cheers - Shawn

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

shawn - 02 March 2018 11:55 AM

.... Next task is to get Google to remove the adverts from the results pages!

Yay .... have (finally) been able to get adverts removed from Google search and so you should now see an ‘all forums’ search option above ......

Cheers - Shawn