Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Asylum seeker own house in country of birth and JSA stoppage

SusieS
forum member

Citizen's Advice Haringey

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Can anyone help?
My client had a home in Ethiopia but fled with his young family and wife to the UK to seek asylum. He brought no papers with him. He can not return to Ethiopia and has no idea what has happened to his home there, nor can he empower anyone back home to find out because their lives would be similarly threatened if they involved themselves in his affairs.

My client’s JSA has been stopped because he told the DWP about his house in Ethiopia. He has been told to sell it and live on the proceeds. We have been dealing with this for months and can not seem to get through to the DWP that this is an impossibility.

What can we do to help our client? Obviously his family are suffering.

Thank you
Susie
Haringey

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

It’s the market value of your capital that counts - see CPAG pg 377 and reg 112 JSA Regs - so if he can’t realistically sell it or raise a loan against it then it has no value. MR and then appeal I guess - and push for it to be expedited to avoid unnecessary hardship?

SusieS
forum member

Citizen's Advice Haringey

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Thanks, really helpful.
Susie

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

and really one has to wonder what value it might have.  the DWP could ask the embassy or consulate in ethiopia what their view is on that….....or even if it’s still there!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

On the issue of valuation, the attached paper by Duncan Wall of Durham WRU might be useful - see the last page.

That’s even before you get into the practical issues around selling a property in the situation you describe.

File Attachments