ESA transfers to UC due to natural migration

‹ First  < 5 6 7

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Daphne

Is there any clarity about the process where an ESA decision prior to claiming UC is changed (usually at FTT) and a component becomes payable? This still seems to be an area where it can be difficult to get the relevant component added to UC and, as the new claim for UC will already have been assessed, I assume that the process you have been told about will not apply

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Daphne - 06 March 2019 09:32 AM

At the stakeholders meeting yesterday we were told there is a new process whereby all new claims go to four centralised teams and are checked against CIS - where ESA is in payment staff manually check whether a component was in place and, if so, put the corresponding element on the UC award - so one person looks at the ESA end and makes the changes on the UC end - this has replaced the old system of emails from UC to ESA and back and is, we are told, much more reliable. So in theory this problem should be happening much less often - I’d be interested to hear if people are still getting cases and if they can DM me a NINO then I can send through for them to see what went wrong. The guy who was doing the presentation was keen to look at specific cases so that errors could be identified.

Daphne - did they also outline any new procedure for cases where UC was claimed following an ESA ‘fit for work’ decision which is subsequently overturned on MR or appeal to ensure the relevant component is added and arrears paid?

In our experience this is a more frequent issue that components not being added due to other COC’s leading to natural migration.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Peter Turville - 06 March 2019 01:38 PM
Daphne - 06 March 2019 09:32 AM

At the stakeholders meeting yesterday we were told there is a new process whereby all new claims go to four centralised teams and are checked against CIS - where ESA is in payment staff manually check whether a component was in place and, if so, put the corresponding element on the UC award - so one person looks at the ESA end and makes the changes on the UC end - this has replaced the old system of emails from UC to ESA and back and is, we are told, much more reliable. So in theory this problem should be happening much less often - I’d be interested to hear if people are still getting cases and if they can DM me a NINO then I can send through for them to see what went wrong. The guy who was doing the presentation was keen to look at specific cases so that errors could be identified.

Daphne - did they also outline any new procedure for cases where UC was claimed following an ESA ‘fit for work’ decision which is subsequently overturned on MR or appeal to ensure the relevant component is added and arrears paid?

In our experience this is a more frequent issue that components not being added due to other COC’s leading to natural migration.

We are having pretty much the same experience’s as Brian and Peter, having to prompt via the journal and adding links to the relevant legislation which HB Anorak and Paul from Sefton were instrumental in happening upon back in December - Article 24 of the WRA 2012 No 9 Commencement Order - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/983/pdfs/uksi_20130983_310518_en.pdf