Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit  →  Thread

Disabled Students and Universal Credit


Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 142

Joined: 16 June 2010

A disabled full time student is eligible for ESA if they receive DLA or PIP. They are “treated as having a limited capability for work” (LCW) on this basis.

A work capability assessment (WCA) is carried out only to see if they should be in the support group (and so receive a higher amount of ESA).

But most new disabled students will be excluded from being able to claim Universal Credit. This means they won’t get the support towards housing costs that large numbers of students in receipt of PIP or DLA currently do.

Under UC a disabled student cannot – except in very limited circumstances – be treated as having a LCW (Schedule 8 of the UC Regs 2013).

A disabled student claiming UC will be immediately refused because they do not have a LCW (but cannot be assessed to see if they have a LCW as they are not a UC claimant).

Disability Rights UK is looking for case studies about the value of ESA and Housing Benefit to disabled students to lobby for the UC regulations to be amended.

Any relevant examples, please send to our student helpline @ .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)