How a holiday affects UC elements

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I have a couple on UC in full roll out area

Couple rate of personal allowance and rent element paid in full

Clients wife wants to go abroad for 2-3 weeks to visit family she hasnt seen in years.

She has to visit Jobcentre every 2 weeks regarding claimant commitment.

I think that as she is away abroad for less than 4 weeks they will only reduce their award by single persons allowance of £73 a week, leaving him with difference of £41.75 (difference between single and couple rate) and also rent paid.

Client worried the rent element will be stopped and doesnt want to fall into rent arrears.

Ive read CPAG chapter 22, and based on that i think that £73 will be only deduction.

Thoughts?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Agreed apart from I don’t see why the award is reduced by £73 p/w rather than to £73 p/w…..

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Just as long as the rent is paid the client is good to go

He may be happy to get rid of the missus for 2-3 weeks, as long as his rent is paid!

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

You are thinking she will be sanctioned, right?  Because she will miss an appointment without good reason?

The way I read Reg 111(5), the sanction is half of the standard rate for a couple - about £57.50ish a week.

If she is able to negotiate some way of fulfilling her claimant commitment while out of the country and doesn’t get sanctioned, an absence from GB of less than one month should have no effect on the UC assessment at all - they continue to receive full standard allowance plus whatever extras are normally included (especially rent).