Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Universal Credit full service - “mandatory reconsiderations” can only be taken by phone

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

First UC full service MR ‘experience’ -

I’ve just spoken to an agent and a team leader at Grimsby who categorically state that in a full service area the only way to request a “mandatory reconsideration is by phone” (because the ‘internal guidance’ says). 

I can’t believe they can argue this when a UC postal address is included on award notices under “What can I do if I think this statement is incorrect?”

Is this the usual line from UC or have I just spoken to some particularly difficult people?

It’s crazy.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

This is from their own guidance put in the House of Commons Library by Lord Freud last October - http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2016-0778/Mandatory_Reconsideration_v1.0.pdf

The Mandatory Reconsideration process
A claimant is able to request a Mandatory Reconsideration:
- over the phone
- face to face
- by putting a note in their journal
- in writing

The full set of guidance is available in our resource pages - http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/universal-credit-full-service-guidance

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

Thanks Daphne.  I will call back and cite chapter and verse to them once I’ve finished my therapeutic complaint!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Let me know if you still have problems - I’ll take it up with them through stakeholders too in addition to your own therapy ;)

stevejohnsontrainer
forum member

@theflipchart ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 126

One the one hand we are told that in FS areas a claimant cannot give explicit consent by letter because the DWP cannot validate a letter signature etc, yet the abovementioned guidance from Lord Freud confirms that you CAN seek an MR in writing. How does that work?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

stevejohnsontrainer - 08 May 2017 09:53 PM

One the one hand we are told that in FS areas a claimant cannot give explicit consent by letter because the DWP cannot validate a letter signature etc, yet the abovementioned guidance from Lord Freud confirms that you CAN seek an MR in writing. How does that work?

it doesn’t, of course, does it.

which is why it’s all daft.