to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP appeal ongoing - though client has made a new claim

RAISE Advice
forum member

RAISE Benefits Advice Team, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 147

We have a client who’s PIP refusal we’re currently appealing.

They’ve taken it upon themselves to make a new claim for PIP while waiting for the appeal.

The question is do they need to return the new form and will the appeal be treated as a set period up to the date of the new claim - or can she ignore the form and go ahead with the appeal as normal?

Thanks!

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

The new claim turns the appeal into a “fixed period”. This is because, one way or another, the decision on the new claim will supersede the Tribunal’s decision.

If the new decision is better than, or the same as the Tribunal decision, then all is well. If the new decision is worse, you can ask for the new decision to be revised to reflect the Tribunal decision.

Your client can either return the form and follow both processes at once or they can ring the helpline and try to withdraw their claim. If they simply don’t return the form, then a negative determination will be made on the new claim which will still supersede the Tribunal’s decision.

RAISE Advice
forum member

RAISE Benefits Advice Team, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 147

Thanks, I assumed that would be the case.

Wanted to double check.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

You can withdraw the new claim.

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 241

Can I check I’ve understood this correctly in my client’s case? Friday brain :-/
PIP appeal unsuccessful, scoring 7 points for daily living. We have applied to UT arguing for 2 more points which would give SRDL.
In the meantime client has made a new PIP claim on basis of worsened health, which has been turned down, scoring 6 points for daily living.
If the UT appeal is eventually successful (either by setting aside the decision or following a rehearing), would the fact of the new PIP claim mean any award would have to made for a closed period, ending at the date of the new claim?

At #2 Elliot Kent’s reply says you can ask for the new decision to be revised to reflect the Tribunal decision - would this be an MR?
Is there therefore any merit to going down the route of MR and appeal on the new PIP claim?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

bristol_1 - 04 August 2017 03:46 PM

(either by setting aside the decision or following a rehearing), would the fact of the new PIP claim mean any award would have to made for a closed period, ending at the date of the new claim?

?

Yes

At #2 Elliot Kent’s reply says you can ask for the new decision to be revised to reflect the Tribunal decision - would this be an MR?

No; it would be a standard revision for ignorance of a material fact, i.e. that client was entitled to PIP anyway.

Is there therefore any merit to going down the route of MR and appeal on the new PIP claim?

If you think there’s merit in the claim you need to do the MR to keep it live; otherwise it will disappear and you’ll struggle to resurrect it if the UT & FtT eventually find in your client’s favour. 

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 241

Great thank you