to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Benefits for an EU citizen

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

My client is Italian born and was engaged to a UK resident. They had a child, who was born in Italy, and then returned to the UK. Shortly afterwards the child’s father suffered a brain injury in an accident. His mother has since taken him out of the country and my client has been unable to contact him since. He is not registered as the child’s father on the birth cert. My client wants to return to the UK to try to find the father and I wondering if she would be entitled to benefits as a result of her son?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Phil R - 13 March 2017 02:59 PM

My client is Italian born and was engaged to a UK resident.

implication, not a UK citizen, especially as you then go on to say that the father’s mother has taken the father out of the country .......?

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

Sorry, the father is a UK citizen. His mother has taken him to another country for rehabilitation.

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

My client is Italian born and was engaged to a UK resident. They had a child, who was born in Italy, and then returned to the UK. Shortly afterwards the child’s father suffered a brain injury in an accident.

Did the father work abroad?

Italy, I meant.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

chacha - 13 March 2017 04:31 PM

My client is Italian born and was engaged to a UK resident. They had a child, who was born in Italy, and then returned to the UK. Shortly afterwards the child’s father suffered a brain injury in an accident.

Did the father work abroad?

Italy, I meant.

No he worked here. The only reason they went to Italy was for the birth of the child. The client has never worked in this country.

Victor
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 88

My reading of the OP is that your client is living in the UK but the father of her child has left the UK. 
How then can your client ‘return to the UK’ ?
Have I misunderstood?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Victor - 14 March 2017 09:20 AM

My reading of the OP is that your client is living in the UK but the father of her child has left the UK. 
How then can your client ‘return to the UK’ ?
Have I misunderstood?

Client in Italy, father and child in the UK.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

i get the impression that italian mother and british father/fiancee were in the UK, went to italy for birth of child, father returned to UK for some reason (presumably for work?) and had an accident.  father’s mother removed him from UK for treatment and italian fiancee wants to track him down.  has she tried father’s facebook?  and she must have known his friends in UK before they went to italy for the birth.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Send message

ClairemHodgson - 14 March 2017 09:53 AM

i get the impression that italian mother and british father/fiancee were in the UK, went to italy for birth of child, father returned to UK for some reason (presumably for work?) and had an accident.  father’s mother removed him from UK for treatment and italian fiancee wants to track him down.  has she tried father’s facebook?  and she must have known his friends in UK before they went to italy for the birth.

Hi Claire, that’s correct. But before she moves back she needs to know if she will have access to benefits for her and her child. Once she is here and receiving financial support, she can concentrate on finding the father. Unfortunately, he know lacks capacity due the brain injury, hence his mother has removed him from the country.