New PIP claims: require ID checks?

1 2 > 

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 289

Dear all,

Just wondering whether any one has had reports of PIP claimants having to provide copies of their passport when making a new claim ?

This may be an anomaly: my British born client has told me that she has been asked to send her actual passport to the DWP in order to make her claim for PIP, else go to the job centre to provide a copy.  She hasn’t been given a reason why.

Is this something new?  Why is it required, does anyone know?

EKS

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I’ve seen this happen to a Pakistan born woman who got permanent right to reside years ago when she applied for PIP. I couldn’t understand it as she also received ESA and HB, her immigration had never been questioned in relation to that and she had a NI number, etc. Maybe computer glitches?

ranaway
forum member

Welfare Rights, North Tyneside Disability Forum

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Claim made on Monday, letter today.

UK citizen from birth. Not left the UK in 4 years. After the checks on PIP1 call, they said “we may need more information to verify your identity”.

Image Attachments

img1.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

Wonderful!  So what happens if claimant has never been married but lives with a partner in his house owned without a mortgage.  The council tax bill would be in his name so the claimant would not have any of the documents listed in the second part!

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

It’s going to be interesting to see what case law develops around the new information requirements in the UC,PIP etc (Claims & Payment) regs.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Derek - 03 March 2017 04:11 PM

Wonderful!  So what happens if claimant has never been married but lives with a partner in his house owned without a mortgage.  The council tax bill would be in his name so the claimant would not have any of the documents listed in the second part!

Should be jointly liable under LGFA 1992

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

all sorts of people won’t have those.  and what is a medical card?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

ClairemHodgson - 06 March 2017 11:45 AM

all sorts of people won’t have those.  and what is a medical card?

Presumably something between the NHS cards some people have with their NHS NO on and who knows what. An appointment letter?

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

and what is a medical card?

I still have my National Health Service Medical Card which was issued to me on 29 March 1974 by the, then, Northamptonshire Family Practitioner Committee, when I moved to the area.  It names the GP who has agreed to provide me with medical services.  It had an old-style NHS number with letters and figures, but at some stage I was sent a sticker with a new number to paste over it.

FPCs disappeared years ago, and these cards are now redundant.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Ruth_T - 06 March 2017 08:13 PM

and what is a medical card?

I still have my National Health Service Medical Card which was issued to me on 29 March 1974 by the, then, Northamptonshire Family Practitioner Committee, when I moved to the area.  It names the GP who has agreed to provide me with medical services.  It had an old-style NHS number with letters and figures, but at some stage I was sent a sticker with a new number to paste over it.

FPCs disappeared years ago, and these cards are now redundant.

think you’re right - i’ve a very vague memory of having such a thing at one point in the distant past ........ have never ever been asked for it by the NHS or anyone else, and have no clue where it might be (probably lost amongst various house moves…).

Colin Hannon
forum member

Sustain - Helena Partnerships

Send message

Total Posts: 22

I have just encountered this last week with a client who is UK citizen from birth and was asked for ID proof of address , didn’t have most documents like driving licence , passport etc . When I rang the PIP helpline I stated my client would have to go and purchase a duplicate birth certificate out of town where he was born and shouldn’t be out of pocket , the lady I spoke to said not to worry the case manager will verify the customers ID via the Home office which shouldn’t take more than a few days ?

What is going on ? has Theresa May made a Trump like executive order ?

TJL
forum member

Derby advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 251

I too once   had a medical card which even if I still had   it would   be a tatty (cheque card sized ) bit o cardboard an anawful lot of   clients will not   meet t hese requirements.

I was speaking to a client the other day who seemed to be   having problems producing id

ranaway
forum member

Welfare Rights, North Tyneside Disability Forum

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Page 2 ID list continues:

Tenancy Agreement
Recent Fuel Bill
Recent Water Bill
Recent Telephone Bill
Letter from Employer
Contract of Employment
Wage Slip
TU Membership Card
Self Employment Invoices
HMRC Correspondence
Bank/Building Soc. Statement
Proof of Benefits Letter
Vehicle Registration Doc
Motor Insurance Docs
Travel Photo Card

It says send “the documents we have requested back to us straightaway. Failure to provide the information within 1 month will mean your claim will be disallowed”.
“If you don’t want to send us the documents, you can call in at your nearest Jobcentre Plus office…”

SC
forum member

Citizens Advice Rossendale and Hyndburn

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I have a client who is a British citizen, born in Pakistan. She has been asked to provide her passport before a PIP claim form will be sent out. I have never come across this before for anyone. Is anyone else coming across this?

SC
forum member

Citizens Advice Rossendale and Hyndburn

Send message

Total Posts: 7

My client is already in the system as she is getting UC.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

It sometimes happens and sometimes doesn’t.

I have a client who made unsuccessful PIP claims in 2017, 2018 and 2019 and wasn’t asked for ID the first two times but was the third time.