Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC claims being refused for lack of tel no/bank details?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

We have had some anecdotal evidence of online UC claims in full digital areas being automatically refused because a telephone number or bank account details were not supplied.

Has anyone come across this or have any thoughts on it?

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

You can’t make the online claim without those details. You can’t navigate to the next screen without putting them in.
What I haven’t tried is phoning the helpline and asking them to take a claim without on basis of exceptional circs.
I have done one where I put all zeros for bank acct but then we have had awful difficulty getting the man paid as he has subsequently been refused a bank acct, and DWP are saying they will only pay into PO acct as a one-off.

CHC
forum member

Welfare rights team - St Mungo's Broadway

Send message

Total Posts: 170

Yes, agree with Sarah, you simply cannot proceed with the online claim with out putting in bank account details. We are a homeless charity and it is fairly common to come across clients who do not have bank accounts. We have a number of hostels in full service areas, one in particular has had lots of problems with Universal Credit for this and other reasons. I’m not sure how they have got on with the helpline with this issue, I will ask the hostel manager.  Its difficult to open a bank account without photo ID, its been hit and miss with certain banks depending on who has been behind the counter on the day.