× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Hanging up the handbook

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Yep- after 30 years I’m waving bye-bye after tomorrow (and am escaping from the lobster pot before I am sucked over the crustacean event horizon). Pastures new beckon and I’m intending to kick up my heels whilst the going is good. It’s been a pleasure knowing you all. I can’t begin to say how valuable your collective support and knowledge has been over the years and I hope I shall encounter you again at some point.

In the meantime at least, au revoir and thanks for keeping me (relatively) sane.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Very sorry to hear that you’er going in many respects, your contributions and insights and support over the years have been invaluable.

On the other hand, I feel a bit jealous and I wish you all the very best with whatever you’re doing next. Look after yourself and enjoy yourself too, cheers and best wishes.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3777

noooooo ..... !!

... you will be missed .... thank you so much for being part of the forum .....

BIG good luck with whatever comes next

best wishes - shawn

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

That’s a real shame.  First Tony and now you   It’s been good to know you down the years,  and some great shared memories on here.  We’ve had many a laugh.  Goodbye and good luck.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

oh - so sorry to see you go Sam - you’ve been great on the forum - but good luck with whatever you’re doing - are we allowed to know what?

forum member

Send message

Awwww… bless you all…

I’m in the happy position of being able to retire a few years early. I have an ever-growing list of things I intend to do (as does OH who has just turned 60 and also hung up the towel) and judging by the way the calendar is filling up I shall definitely be wondering how I ever found the time to work.

We’re planning on relocating in a year or two to our beloved Cumbria as well so it’s all change.

I shall miss you and my lovely colleagues (I shall even miss the clients) but I’m looking forward to being free to do my own thing.  I certainly won’t miss blinking Vivaldi.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1962

All the best: enjoy your time, relax and have fun, but think occasionally of us as our blood pressure continues to mount!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Sounds idyllic - enjoy!!

Have you noticed Sam you’ve done 1954 posts - I think for tidiness sake you should get another 10 in (but no more) before you go ;)

forum member

Send message

LOL!  No, I hadn’t. Well- I’m around until Thursday morning (after which we’re closing up for a combined Christmas and leaving do) so I shall see what I can do in the meantime…  1955 and counting…..

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Good luck for the future.

The Lake District epitomises all that is best about the Four Seasons.  you can now experience the real thing and not have to listen to endless repetitions.

Could be worse, they could be playing folk music…

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2001

Good luck and try not miss the endless fun and relaxation of work.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

All the best for the future! I shall miss the shared (dark) sense of humour!

Enjoy your retirement!

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

A rat jumping overpboard before the ship sinks? Not fair!! You must be paid too much at Reading. I can’t afford to retire early before the lobster pot decends on us. Please think of all of us still suffering!

Enjoy!

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Good vintage the 64. Will be missed.

forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 13 December 2016 03:55 PM

A rat jumping overpboard before the ship sinks? Not fair!! You must be paid too much at Reading. I can’t afford to retire early before the lobster pot decends on us. Please think of all of us still suffering!

Enjoy!

IT geek husband Peter. They earn more…. but if you care to abandon ship I’m sure I can squeeze you into my rucksack when we relocate!

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2903

There are some rock solid reliable members on this forum whose contributions I always look out for - I tend to think “Ah yes, this will probably be correct and insightful”, especially when I am venturing outside my HB comfort zone.  1964 is one of them, so definitely Cumbria’s gain and our loss.

forum member

Send message

Thanks HB Anorak- that’s really touching.

Don’t know what I would have done without many of your HB insights over the years. One of the many forum stars.

Ros White
forum member

Advice and Rights team, CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 81

Oh 1964, you will be missed, thanks for all your funny and insightful posts - hope you have a lovely time in Cumbria!

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Oh no .... 1964, you are one of my rightsnet faves, spot on with your analysis of many situations, and with the type of humour entirely necessary for this field of work ....and always chipping in to help others with their work. 

Wish I was retiring to Cumbria ....

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Congratulations and best wishes.

Enjoy the freedom.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

You prefer the Lake District to Reading?? Can’t imagine why…

Thanks for all the LOLs and spluttered coffees and help over the years Sam and have a brill time up in the hills

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

Echoing all the sentiments here - been nice (and useful) ‘knowing’ you.

Enjoy whatever you end up doing, wherever you end up doing it.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

All the very best Sam; you’ll be missed!

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

sorry to read that, always useful to read your posts.

but can’t argue with cumbria as a relocation spot (unless, of course, it were northumbria/rural yorkshire…)

forum member

Send message

It has its attractions right enough Claire (and OH is a Yorkshireman) as indeed does the Scottish border country (love the Southern Uplands) and the highlands (especiially the far north west). In fact, so long as there’s a few fells to climb in the vicinity it’s fine by me.

I’ll miss you all but wherever we end up there will always be a welcome on the hillside…

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Missed this yesterday as out at hearing. Hope it’s not too late to wish you all the best (you said you’re off this morning). Thanks for your help and contributions over the years….

forum member

Send message

Not too late- had a blindingly wonderful and touching leaving do yesterday and am now enjoying Day One of the future.  Thanks most kindly.

Will see you on the flip side. Have a splendid Christmas all and may 2017 be a good one.