Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

SSP1 Requirement for new style ESA

Uncleduff
forum member

Generalist Adviser - Pennine West Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is a requirement for getting new style ESA to send off a completed SSP1 form-my client has been getting full company sick pay which has now stopped and she is now being paid 75% of her wages through a health insurance policy.  She has therefore never been claiming SSP but ESA are insisting they need a SSP1 form.

thanks,
UncleDuff.

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

Hi

I think it’s quite unusual for company sick pay to be paid and for it not to include SSP.
If SSP has genuinely not been paid, I would imagine the DWP want an SSP1 because they want to know why it hasn’t been paid.
From memory, ESA cannot be paid if SSP is payable.
Others may correct me, of course!

Uncleduff
forum member

Generalist Adviser - Pennine West Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Many thanks for this. cheers, UncleDuff.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

I would agree with HarlowAC. I would expect that your client was receiving SSP for the first 28 weeks of sickness, topped up with contractual sick pay.. An SSP1 should therefore be issued.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 118

Employers, including large ones, do all sorts of strange things. I have seen them pay company sick pay for 26 weeks, then start paying SSP. One kept paying SSP level for 18 months. Sometimes they think they are being helpful to staff with little income, sometimes they are just slack, but it doesn’t half muck up the benefit claiming processes. There aren’t many knowledgeable payroll/HR staff even in large organisations anymore - even NHS etc. And ever more complex legal and benefits systems don’t make it easy.