Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Can the work capability assessment process for LCWRA element of UC continue if it is not completed before a claimant reaches state pension age?

Hattie S.
forum member

Income Maximisation Team, LB Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 12

The client is a lady aged 65 DOB 27/06/1956. She will reach state pension age on her birthday this year. She is physically disabled and lives in supported accommodation.

The client is currently in receipt of Universal Credit standard element which I assisted her to claim in August last year. (Not especially relevant but rent is paid through HB.)

When I assisted the Clt to make the claim, I also helped her to request a fit note from her GP. I explained to her about the LCWRA element of UC (which I believe she is definitely entitled to) and the three month wait period. She told me that she would call UC as soon as the fit note arrived from her GP and report it. She had spoken to them on her own before and there had been no issues. I of course asked her to call me if she had any problems reporting the fit note and she did not get in contact.

Through a combination of me being extremely busy and the client frequently having her phone switched off I was not able to get back in touch with her to follow up until this month. She had not received the capability for work questionnaire. When I investigated this it turned out that she had got the fit note from the GP and another one three months later but had failed to understand that she needed to actually tell UC that she had these fit notes. As a result the fit notes were never registered on her claim.

Normally I would just register the fit notes now and get the capability for work assessment started. However because she reaches pension age in June and her UC claim will close, I am concerned that if the assessment process is not completed by then (which it will likely not be knowing how long these things take) that UC won’t continue it as she is no longer entitled to the benefit. I have not been able to find anything about the law here.

My question is, if a claimant was possibly entitled to the LCWRA element before she turned pension age but reached pension age before a decision was made, are UC required to a) complete the assessment process and b) pay any backdated payments that the claimant is awarded as the result of this assessment?

(This lady is in pretty poor health and has got worse last year and I don’t think there’s any point in dragging her through this process if the LCWRA element application will close along with the UC claim when she reaches pension age. However she is definitely entitled based on her disabilities and if this LCWRA element application would continue after she reached pension age and any resulting money paid as a backdated lump sum then I advise her of this.)

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

Hi Hattie,
The UC claim should be kept open past SRP age until the WCA determination has been made. That is if the staff know their job and follow the instructions in the UC Claim Closure Spotlight included below. Hope this helps ......

File Attachments

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

UB40 - 23 March 2022 05:17 PM

Hi Hattie,
The UC claim should be kept open past SRP age until the WCA determination has been made. That is if the staff know their job and follow the instructions in the UC Claim Closure Spotlight included below. Hope this helps ......

Is this the case even for a claim closure due to reaching pension age? The Spotlight suggests that only in income/earnings closure cases should the claim be left open.

UB40
forum member

Send message

Yes. There is a section regarding SRP as a reason for closure, but the qualification at the end of the Spotlight regarding a WCA applies to all the sections.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

That guidance is rather interesting, notwithstanding the physical pain caused by the incessant use of the term “claim closure”.

I suspect the following paragraph would be of interest to Jo over at this thread: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/18060

Claimant moved in to Full Time Education

Most claims must be closed but there are exceptions when a claimant will still be entitled to Universal Credit
Decisions on whether a claimant is in full time education are made by a decision maker

The claim should be closed from the 1st day of the AP in which the claimant becomes ineligible

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

UB40 - 23 March 2022 05:58 PM

Yes. There is a section regarding SRP as a reason for closure, but the qualification at the end of the Spotlight regarding a WCA applies to all the sections.

Hmm. I had read that last paragraph as going with the bottom section of the previous page. Like the top paragraph on the second last page clearly belongs with the bottom section of the page before that.

UB40
forum member

Send message

Not to be admired is the unfortunate use of euphemism in ” health journey ” ( along the lines of Benefit Unit ).

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Even if the WCA process is completed and claimant is found to have LCWRA it seems likely that UC will take the start of the three month relevant period as the date on which you now supply the Fit Notes. If that is the case it appears that, at most, claimant will only get one month which includes payment of the LCWRA element.

(UB40, I too hate health journey. Am also intrigued by the use of ‘product’ as in “This Spotlight product has been designed to help support staff in closing claims correctly. It replaces the ‘Closing a claim - what you need to do’ product”.)

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

At the start of the UC claim did she report that she was not fit for work? If so, UC should have been asking her to complete To-Do’s in regards to fit notes.

Jim

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Anyone who uses the word journey as anything other than the movement of a body/object through time and space should be taken out and given a ‘damn good talking to’.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Ah the words “customer”, “product” and “health journey”.

Will there come a point when we don’t find them offensive?

If I’m on a “health journey” what pray tell is my route and what is my destination?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Mike Hughes - 24 March 2022 12:06 PM

If I’m on a “health journey” what pray tell is my route and what is my destination?

I think we all share a common destination.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

It was a rhetorical question as I didn’t want things to take a dark turn 😊

“Health journey” as a phrase is both inappropriate and woefully inadequate. There is no aspect of health which equates with a journey unless you live in happy clappy ville where all health issues can be fixed with “wellbeing”.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

Oh look; she’s got the same birthday as me… Second time that’s happened this week! Weird

but… rhetorical cynicism aside, if her Work Coach didn’t know she was disabled they would likely have been leaning on Hattie’s client to do some form of work search.

If that’s not happened then presumably UC have got some evidence that she’s maybe got LCW; even if it’s just knowledge of a PIP award. That being the case, and bearing in mind regulation 2A of the medical evidence regulations 1976, which will accept anything where it’s not reasonable to expect a sick note; f’rinstance where she didn’t understand she needed to provide it cuz her WC had switched off any Work Related Requirements and hadn’t told her to upload it… then it may well be that the first evidence was submitted when she made the claim and the LCWRAE will be backdated after some argument.

It’s worked for me…

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 466

Hunter S Thompson’s driving my bus:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

Elliot Kent - 23 March 2022 06:35 PM

I suspect the following paragraph would be of interest to Jo over at this thread: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/18060

Claimant moved in to Full Time Education

Most claims must be closed but there are exceptions when a claimant will still be entitled to Universal Credit
Decisions on whether a claimant is in full time education are made by a decision maker

The claim should be closed from the 1st day of the AP in which the claimant becomes ineligible

OOOH, Thanks Elliot

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

Dan Manville - 24 March 2022 12:53 PM

Hunter S Thompson’s driving my bus:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

I’m on that bus too Dan ;)

Hattie S.
forum member

Income Maximisation Team, LB Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 12

Mr Jim - 24 March 2022 09:40 AM

At the start of the UC claim did she report that she was not fit for work? If so, UC should have been asking her to complete To-Do’s in regards to fit notes.

Jim

The UC was made through a telephone claim so there wasn’t a journal that prompted her to do anything. When we started the claim we did report that she was not fit for work and she told me that she has spoken about this with her work coach too.