to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Help!

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 458

I’ve been searching for hours and i can’t find it. I’m sure I’ve seen someone, I could have sworn Chris Grayling, promise a code of practice for recovering overpayments in Hansard but I’m beggared if I can find it when I need it.!

Can anyone remember where the overpayment code of practice was promised?

The WRB 2012 was debated on 13th June 11 but I can’t find it there.

Think I’ve found it now…

[ Edited: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:51 pm by Dan Manville ]
Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmpublic/welfare/110519/am/110519s01.htm

When the Welfare Reform Bill (i.e. Welfare Reform Act 2012) was being debated the Minister concerned (Chris Grayling) promised a ‘clear code of practice’ said it was the intention not to recover many overpayments which had been caused by official error - see link to HOC, Hansard, 19 May 2011, col 1019

In that debate Chris Grayling made various statements on overpayment recovery, including this:

‘The practical reality is that we do not have to recover money from people where official error has been made, and we do not intend, in many cases, to recover money where official error has been made. There will be an absolutely clear code of practice that will govern the circumstances in which recovery action will or will not be taken, to ensure consistent, considered decision making’.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 458

Thanks both

Of course I’d been frantically digging through Hansard instead of just looking on here D’oh!

I’ve a mind to run a constitutionality argument at this and I’ve got a corker of a case to run it on.

[ Edited: 30 Mar 2022 at 03:48 pm by Dan Manville ]