to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Moving from IB-JSA to UC

Stewbold
forum member

Citizens Advice Flintshire

Send message

Total Posts: 32

I have a client who is receiving Income Based JSA. As she is getting PIP - Daily Living, her claim includes a DP and SDP. She has now started submitting fit notes and DWP have informed her that she can be sick on JSA for 13 weeks. After that if she is still not fit for work, she will have to claim UC - as claiming IB-ESA is no longer an option. My question is, does the time she is spending submitting fit notes now count towards the WCA or will she still need to submit fit notes for 13 weeks on UC before the WCA process can begin?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

The sick notes submitted now certainly help for the 3 month waiting period. See the legislation here, and guidance here (Para M6210).
The actual WCA process does not only start after 13 weeks, although the assessment in practice usually takes place after that period of time. How the transfer to UC from JSA will affect that, I don’t know.

Stewbold
forum member

Citizens Advice Flintshire

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Thanks for your helpful reply Charles. Much appreciated

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

If the health condition is likely to last more than 13 weeks it may be worth checking whether, with SDP transitional protection, it makes sense to do the move to UC sooner (but wait until after the benefit increases in April otherwise they will simply erode the transitional protection).

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

Nothing constructive to add to the discussion, but wondering whether there should be some sort of commemorative plaque and migration ceremony for what must surely be the final JSA(ib) claimant?

Or are there more of them than I thought?

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

According to daily mail theres millions of people on the dole scrounging… may take a while

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

HB Anorak - 23 March 2022 04:41 PM

Nothing constructive to add to the discussion, but wondering whether there should be some sort of commemorative plaque and migration ceremony for what must surely be the final JSA(ib) claimant?

Or are there more of them than I thought?

i thought the same but I was reliably informed at the last NAWRA meeting that there are still quite a few out there…