to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Tax Credits vs UC

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 124

I am hoping for some clarity as I have scrambled my brain.

Household is client on CA, partner on ESA (CB) and PIP, grandchild (F)  aged 11 and 2 children , previously fostered who are now under Special Guardianship Allowance , Male aged 10 and Female aged 6. Child benefit and child tax credit is received for the 11 year old. Child benefit is received for one of the SGA children - records disagree as to which child but it has been applied for for both. Client is not renting so no issues with bedroom entitlement being dependent upon child benefit. SGA does not count as income.

Can client still add the SGA children on to the tax Credits claim now or when Child Benefit comes through for both? This would pay a bit less than claiming UC but may be an easier route.
Or is UC the only option?

Also, she did work for 2 days prior to being diagnosed. This was for an agency and hopefully was less than £128 per week (will cross that one when we come to it if it affects CA for that week) However, if she was over the lower earnings limit, is the agency due to pay her SSP?

Thanks in advance for any help

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

The couple are already on CTC so there isn’t anything stopping them adding new children in, however they may have come to be in that position. UC doesn’t need to enter into it although the couple could claim it should they consider it beneficial.

I don’t know if the 2 days of work needs to occupy much of your time. As you note, it could impact the CA for that week and create an overpayment of a few quid depending on the amount earned. I don’t believe there would be any SSP entitlement as their average earnings over the 8 weeks prior to the period of sickness would necessarily be below the Lower Earnings Limit of £120 per week.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 124

Thank you very much Elliott, I was forgetting the 8 weeks average for SSP. I shall tell her to chase up the second child benefit, as she could apply for Tax credits now for the child who has got child benefit.
Thanks again

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

I think she can apply for CTC for both the younger children now. Entitlement to CTC is not dependent on CB.