to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC - Mandatory Reconsiderations on closed claims

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

We submitted an MR for a retrospective verification case and all I’m wanting is confirmation that it’s been registered and ‘actioned’.  I’m not chasing a decision - it’s just to confirm it’s in a (ridiculous) queue awaiting consideration by a Decision Maker.

As my client has chosen not to reclaim, there’s no journal and no allocated Case Manager.  The Contact Centre have said they can’t see anything as there’s no claim and only Case Managers can see the postal system.  The Partnership Manager advised similarly.  In this scenario, how do you confirm something is being done? The 2 different agents I spoke to just suggested if we don’t hear anything after a few months then we should resend the MR…

Hoping someone has some suggestions. I was thinking about a UC complaint online but they rarely seem to get a response either.  Do the DRTs still exist?

Thanks!

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

subject access request?

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

Ooooh good shout! Thanks Vonny.  Hopefully them finding an MR stuck on a system with no action might prompt them to do something with it.  Cheers

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Ive a similar one. Im launching appeal without MR, as UC are sitting on their backsides
HMCTS will then order UC to action MR once appeal goes in the system, and hopefully they will revise and lapse appeal.
good luck

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Ask MP to raise case with DWP (as example of the issues with ‘closed’ claims’ and not being able to access UC account digitally in a digital by default system?).

MRs can be sent by recorded delivery to: UCFS, Canterbury BC, Nutwood Hse, Canterbury, CT1 1ZZ. (I’m sure someone will up date if this is no longer current). This doesn’t resolve the issue of confirming action but at least gives proof of delivery for follow up action (inc. using CPAG pre-action protocol letter - sorry having issues with their website to post link).

[ Edited: 12 Jan 2022 at 02:41 pm by Peter Turville ]
Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 306

I have an new case where the UC case is closed after the ID issue was raised and an overpayment of £4000 resulted. My client has tried to lodge an MR but DWP just keep telling him they can’t access the case as it is closed, my client is too terrified to make a fresh UC claim. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET AN MR LODGED ??
should |I lodge an appeal without am MR, i suspect the Tribunal will just bounce it back to me.
PS my local MP is really very useless, does not respond to messages and shows no interest in helping our clients.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Diogenes - 14 January 2022 11:33 AM

I have an new case where the UC case is closed after the ID issue was raised and an overpayment of £4000 resulted. My client has tried to lodge an MR but DWP just keep telling him they can’t access the case as it is closed, my client is too terrified to make a fresh UC claim. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET AN MR LODGED ??
should |I lodge an appeal without am MR, i suspect the Tribunal will just bounce it back to me.
PS my local MP is really very useless, does not respond to messages and shows no interest in helping our clients.

Send the MR in writing to

UCTS Post
Canterbury BC
Nutwood House
Canterbury
Kent
CT1 1ZZ

This works.  I’ve used it.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 306

thanks nevip, will do, my cl is too terrified to reclaim UC, this whole ID saga is a real disgrace, but I suppose that MPs are currently more worried about other issues than this. when my cl was phoned about his ID he offered to provide it but not via his journal as he has difficulty dealing with it, UC just told him they would close his case which they did and sent him a £4000 bill

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 454

Another option which I’ve had some success with in the past is lodging a complaint (at https://makeacomplaint.dwp.gov.uk) and this has prompted some escalation and MR decision to be issued in post.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 365

Related query. I’ve also used the Canterbury address with success. But I’ve seen this address mentioned too:

Universal Credit
Post Handling Site B
Wolverhampton
WV99 1AJ

Anyone got a view as to which is current/works better? (In the context of MR requests where UC claim is ‘closed’).

Thanks.