to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

2022 benefit year

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Can anyone confirm for me when the 2022 benefit year starts? I thought it would be 2/1/22 but CPAG 982-3 refers to 5/1/22. Why is it implying that it starts on a Wednesday, I thought it was the first Sunday in January?

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

When the “usual” bank holiday date falls at a weekend, the Government decrees a “substitute day”.  This year both Christmas Day and Boxing Day are at a weekend, so we get Monday 27 Dec and Tuesday 28 Dec in addition.  1 January 2022 is a Saturday, so Monday 3 January is the substitute day.

In Scotland, 2 January has always been a bank holiday, and because that’s a Sunday, Tuesday 4 January is the substitute day.

JSA and ESA for which the benefit year is relevant, are UK-wide benefits, so the new benefit year starts on Wednesday 5 January for England, Wales & Scotland.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Benefit years always run from the first Sunday in January - see s26(6) SSCBA 1992. Perhaps 05/01/22 is the first UK-wide working day of 2022, but the benefit year will run from 02/01/22.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Thanks both. I can’t make any sense of the legislation on gov.uk here. Is there a link to what Elliot has said that someone can give me that shows the uptodate regs?

I have a cl who has been advised to reclaim NS ESA in 2022 as she doesn’t currently meet the contribution requirements but will in 2022. I want to know what the earliest date is she can claim?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

There is a typo in my post in that it should say s21(6) rather than s26(6).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/4/section/21