to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Army Pensions as unearned income for UC

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 390

My cl is getting an Armed Forces Pension and and War Invalidity Pension. The first is clearly unearned income for UC purposes but I am not sure about the second - the commentary to UC reg 67 in Sweet & Maxwell is (uncharacteristically) diffident on the subject and I was wondering if anyone has run into this before or could help me negotiate the bewildering variety of services pensions!

thanks, and if its absolutely obvious then I apologise in advance!

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

It doesn’t appear to be covered by any of the items listed as unearned income to be taken into account. (I thinks it’s not subject to income tax so is not caught by the any other taxable income item). If it’s not covered then it isn’t counted.

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

Yes it is disregarded .....
” Payments made under the War Pension Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme are not taken into account as income in Universal Credit.

Income-related benefits already partially disregard War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments for injuries and bereavement. With the introduction of Universal Credit, we have gone a step further, and have ensured that War Pensions and all Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments are fully disregarded in the assessment of income for Universal Credit.

All other regular, occupational and personal pension payments, that are designed to provide support to help people meet their living costs, are taken fully into account in the assessment of entitlement to Universal Credit.”  DWP 14/09/2020

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 390

Thanks, I will go back to the calculations.