to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

UC and mixed age couples 2

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Rather than hijacking this thread https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/17902/ I will ask here.

My client is approaching SPA in January, his wife is 10 years younger. He gets PIP but at the Standard Rate for DL and IR ESA with SG component, she gets CA and is a partner on the ESA claim.

I was going to advise them to claim UC now, so he would get LCWRA transferred across from his ESA claim prior to becoming a MAC in January.

I struggle to understand this MAC thing even now. Is this the correct advice?

VRW
forum member

Livin Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 61

As long as they make the claim for UC before he turns SPA then the LCWRA should transfer over.

I would may be suggest doing it 2 weeks before he turns SPA so that they get the 2 week run-on of ESA as well as the HB - to avoid any issues over the christmas period (unless he turns SPA at the beginning of Jan)

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Thanks VRW.

He turns SPA on 1st January.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

VRW - 08 December 2021 04:16 PM

I would may be suggest doing it 2 weeks before he turns SPA so that they get the 2 week run-on of ESA as well as the HB - to avoid any issues over the christmas period (unless he turns SPA at the beginning of Jan)

Given that they will probably get slightly more in UC than currently on ESA there really isn’t any reason to delay claiming (subject to doing a calculation to check my assumption).

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Definitely encourage the advance claim, we’ve been advising to contact Citizens Advice Help to Claim service and haven’t had any negative feedback to date. Also remember to tell partner claiming CA to make sure she completes UC claim as carer nevertheless because actually receiving CA isn’t always enough to convince some of the DWP galazy brains working on UC that a carer’s element can and should be included form day 1 also.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1955

I have someone who is 66 on Dec 20th and is the ESA claimant, younger partner on CA. Appears to have been told nothing about claiming UC.