to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

PIP requesting more information after claim has proceeeded to appeal

TJL
forum member

Derby advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 251

Unsuccessful PIP claim proceeds to appeal acknowledged PIP are requesting   more   info prior to hearing anyone else had experience   of same?

S2uABZ
forum member

Money adviser - Aberdeen City Council Financial Inclusion Team

Send message

Total Posts: 130

I have had occasions when i’ve sent additional info to the DWP prior to the appeal hearing or DWP have called me requesting any further info and once supplied they have changed the decision. Maybe they have certain targets to meet, anyhow it is always handy when that happens rather than putting a client through an appeal interrogation.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I’ve seen this a few times too, and like S2uABZ’s experience it has preceded an ‘offer’ from DWP.

I don’t agree that such outcomes are (generally) positive though. Usually DWP have made a lower award than what the client is entitled to.

Yes, the client can immediately proceed to appeal the new award (and no MR needed), but in many cases they’ll just take what they got and walk away. Added downside then becomes the absence of a tribunal’s findings, which could be helpful in dealing with issues down the road, or the fact that DWP may make a shorter award than was appropriate.

TJL
forum member

Derby advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 251

PIP called client qs related to info already provided   by appellant and seemed to be hell bent   on proving the Medical Assessor correct

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Standard practice unfortunately!! When I fill appeal forms in, I tell clients that if the DWP contacts them to contact me straight away.

I think in their codes of practice it states that if a rep is involved they should contact them instead of the claimant. If they do offer a “good” outcome it’s usually followed by an extremely short award length