to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Carer’s Allowance v Bereavement Benefit

Liz M
forum member

Exeter Citizens Advice Project Worker

Send message

Total Posts: 15

My client was receiving Carer’s Allowance in respect of her husband who has now passed away.  I know that she will be entitled to an 8 week run on but she has now claimed Bereavement Allowance which is an over lapping benefit (she has also claimed Universal Credit).
I think that as Carer’s Allowance is the higher of the 2 benefits, she will receive that plus the Carer’s premium on her UC but I am not sure what will happen with her Bereavement Allowance claim.  Is it held open and then put into payment automatically when the Carer’s Allowance run on ends ,or will she need to reclaim?

Also if she chose to receive Bereavement Allowance would she be considered to have an underlying entitlement to Carer’s and therefore get the Carer’s premium with her UC?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3207

She is entitled to bereavement benefit, it’s simply that it’s not paid due to CA exceeding, so when CA stops, then the bereavement benefit should come into payment afaik.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

A new claim would be for Bereavement Support Payment, not Bereavement Allowance?

BSP is not an overlapping benefit, and is ignored by UC.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1414

Are you sure she’s claimed Bereavement Allowance? That has been phased out, and she would normally now claim Bereavement Support Payment, which is not included in the overlapping benefit rules.

EDIT: Snap!

Liz M
forum member

Exeter Citizens Advice Project Worker

Send message

Total Posts: 15

Whoops meant Bereavement Support Payment.

So am I right in thinking that as Bereavement Support Allowance is not an earnings replacement benefit you can get that as well as the Carer’s allowance run on?

[ Edited: 23 Nov 2021 at 02:17 pm by Liz M ]
Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3207

Well spotted, yes BSP isn’t an overlapping benefit so looks like can be paid alongside CA as well.