to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Composition of Tribunals post 18-03-2021

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 769

I note that the practice direction which allows tribunals to decide cases with a single judge due to Covid restrictions is set to expire after 18/03/2021-

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/15-Sept-20-SPT-Amended-Panel-Composition-Pilot-PD-Sept-2020.pdf

I am fairly certain that we will simply get another extension of the scheme but something to watch out for just in case.

Martin

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

Hi, have I missed it or has there been no extension to the special measures relating to tribunal procedure due to COVID-19?  The Practice Direction was issued in March 20, then extended to 18 Sept 21 but I haven’t seen anything since then.  Has anyone else?

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

Can’t see there has been a further extension. This update from May 2021, from a letter to the Justice Committee, suggests it was more likely the PD would be revoked early rather than extended -

COVID-19 Practice Directions - These PDs have been re-issued to mitigate the impact of COVID-19. These PDs, dictating procedures in the First-tier Tribunal and Upper Tribunal, are amended extensions of the PDs that were re-issued on 15 September 2020. They remain temporary measures, extended by 6 months. The PDs ensure the continued safe, efficient and effective administration of the justice system during these extraordinary times. These re-issued PDs came into force on 18 March 2021.

The Senior President of tribunals has agreed to a formal gateway review of these PDs in June to ensure they keep pace with the changes outlined by the Covid-19 Roadmap. If restrictions continue to be lifted as planned, then the PDs may need to be further amended and potentially revoked before the six month period.

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/6183/documents/68919/default/

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

Thanks Stuart, that’s interesting. It seems odd there has been no formal update as such.