Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Voluntary Move to UC campaign

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

DWP have confirmed that this is now live -

The UC campaign is now live on DWP channels. The campaign focuses on increasing understanding of Universal Credit to help address legacy claimant barriers to moving to UC. The link on this is as below.

How could Universal Credit help you? - Understanding Universal Credit

DWP say they are not encouraging anyone to move, or advising anyone to - they are giving information to enable people to see if they would be better off!!

But there is a complete refusal to contemplate moving anyone back to legacy or to providing any protection. If someone is misadvised by a work coach to claim then they can put in a complaint to see if they can get compensation!

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1955

So - it’s just propaganda to try to lure people into claiming UC, and at their own risk. Presumably to lighten the load of managed migration, when it coughs back into being.

This is even worse than I had expected. A disgraceful ‘Not us guv’nor’ approach.

There is also the debt deduction trap - even if someone is apparently better off on UC, they may suffer owing to deductions taken for ancient debts they never knew they owed. Bet there’s no warning of that either. 

I think we need a campaign -  ‘UC - don’t claim without getting advice first.’

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

PS - any chance the ASA can have them again for this?

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Andrew Dutton - 12 October 2021 02:24 PM

PS - any chance the ASA can have them again for this?

The lack of openness about risk of sanctions and framing it solely as support seems like something that could cause a claimant to take a decision they might not have otherwise.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I would the ASA have to be one of the ways forward here.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/work-and-pensions-secretary-says-that-she-does-not-envisage-need-for-move-to-universal-credit-pilot-in-harrogate-to-resume
This is worrying.

SoS talks about ‘ considerable learnings’ from the pilot, but what were they?

How many cases were migrated to UC during the pilot? 

On 27/1/20, Will Quince MP stated to Parliament as follows:
‘The numbers are relatively small at the moment, just under 80, with around 13 having moved on to Universal Credit.
And I can see that the Hon. Lady is shocked by that but it’s been very deliberate on my part, I wanted … officials to take this slow and steady and at the pace that the claimant required’.

I wonder how many more were moved before Covid bit? Not many, I would venture.

I wonder what ‘learnings’ there were regarding helping vulnerable claimants when the Migration Notices go out?

At one time a ‘voluntary’ approach was being considered alongside the pilot: has it now taken its place completely? So we now have ‘natural’ migration and a dodgy voluntary scheme…and a finish date but no start date as yet for Managed Migration?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Andrew Dutton - 09 November 2021 02:18 PM

How many cases were migrated to UC during the pilot?

Around 13 according to the new item. Depending on how you interpret 13 thats 12, 13 or 14 or perhaps 11 to 15. Somewhat suspicious of the lessons learned if they can’t even put an exact (rather small) number on these migrated.

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Surely the “learnings” are that the timetable is such that it is impossible to have a proper pilot project and still roll out the programme by the end of 2024 - so it is going ahead without a pilot.

Two comments from me: isn’t it lucky that Dr Coffey isn’t in charge of aviation? And what are “learnings”? Since when is that a plural? I guess it’s an obscure way of avoiding saying something more revealing eg “we’ve learned a bit, but not a lot.”

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

I notice the Advertising Standards Agency has been mentioned in these threads.
Right at the start the first sentence is incorrect
“No matter what your circumstances, Universal Credit helps make sure you’re getting all the financial support you’re entitled to in one place “
After all PIP NSE ESA Child Benefit etc etc aren’t “in one place”.
I presume lawyers must have checked it - but how did this slip through?

Is NAWRA or anyone going to approach ASA?
Or is there somewhere else it could be taken? raised with an MP?

So many people potentially persuaded to be claim UC before they need to and be thousands of £s out of pocket

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 1995

I suppose there’s a difference between ‘helps make sure’ and ‘makes sure’.  As to ‘one place’, you could argue that’s where the recipient is.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Wording from the latest ‘Touchbase’:

‘Helping people understand how Universal Credit can support them

DWP has launched a new campaign to help people understand the support that Universal Credit (UC) could offer them.

The digital advertising campaign will help people, including those on legacy benefits, understand the tailored support they could access through Universal Credit, whether they’re in work, out of work, or unable to work at the moment.

A new web page will help guide people through Universal Credit, detailing the support it offers and how it works to make sure people are getting all the financial support they are entitled to – all in one place.’‘

From the website - ‘It can include financial support for the cost of housing, children and childcare, so if you are eligible, the amount you receive will be customised to your unique personal circumstances.’

‘Customised to your unique personal circumstances’????

No warnings, no potential problems or hazards flagged up. We pointed you to the cliff but we didn’t say jump.

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Taking n board Gareth’s point that the original didn’t actually say they’d get all their financial support in one place - but this latest one does seem to.
Could that be something to raise with Advertising Standards Agency as mis-selling? And who’s best placed to raise it with them?