to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Long delays with ESA & PIP claims

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

My client has been waiting 6 months for an ESA decision and nearly 5 months for a PIP decision. She receives UC. Both ESA & PIP confirm they are working on the claims, but PIP took almost 2 months to find her form.

Is there anything she can do to speed up the claims?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Are these particularly long delays? Last I heard, the average wait for PIP was 12 weeks and that doesn’t include the form going missing for two months.

I suppose if your client is unhappy about the delays, it is just the typical routes. Put in a complaint or go to the escalation people.

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

Elliot Kent - 01 October 2021 04:48 PM

Are these particularly long delays? Last I heard, the average wait for PIP was 12 weeks and that doesn’t include the form going missing for two months.

I suppose if your client is unhappy about the delays, it is just the typical routes. Put in a complaint or go to the escalation people.

Thank you for your reply. Are there any specific numbers or email addresses for escalation for PIP & UC/ESA? I have looked on the DWP website and I can only see the general numbers.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I’d have said your average PIP decision from call to decision is probably 9 to 10 months at this point.