to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

SDP and homeless

Heather Williams
forum member

RNIB Cymru Welfare Rights Team

Send message

Total Posts: 2

I have a client who was previously homeless who I have supported in getting permanent accommodation and is now on PIP (backdated to 2019), ESA etc.

Client was awarded the SDP element in ESA in before it ended earlier this year and client continues to receive this.

However client was not awarded the SDP element for the period she was homeless.  Client was house sitting empty houses during the 2019-2021 period and used a friends address for post.

Can client challenge this?  If so, what information do I need?  Will dates and addresses of where she lived be sufficient? Any legislation around this?

Thanks in anticipation for your support with this query

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

You can’t get the SDP if you are homeless in the sense of being “without accommodation” which would cover people who are rough sleeping or only accessing night shelters etc.

You can still get the SDP if you are homeless in the broader sense. People who are semi-permanently sleeping on someone’s sofa etc. can still get the SDP provided they can show that they are a separate household to the occupier. In practice, there is often an anxiety about disclosing where you have been staying for fear that it will impact the benefit position of the person who is letting them stay.

In your case, I suspect the principle issue will be evidencing where they were staying all of that time. I would think the DWP would be looking for some specific evidenced narrative with appropriate evidence (e.g. letters from the home owners).

Heather Williams
forum member

RNIB Cymru Welfare Rights Team

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Thank you Elliot, at least I know where I’m going with this case now.