to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Moving from social housing (standard tenancy) to Exempt Supported Accommodation

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

I know there have been discussions about this on here recently but I would like to check I have got a scenario correct for my client please.  Single lady on UC.  Was living in a social housing property, getting UC and UC Housing Costs element.  She signs for a new tenancy which starts on 14/9 but the new tenancy is exempt supported accommodation.  She moved into the supported accommodation on 27/9.  The delay was due to her needing help to get her stuff packed up and moved (not waiting for any SF payment/adaptations etc).  She has not yet claimed HB.

As I read it, she will get no UC Housing element for the assessment period in which she moves out of her old tenancy NOR will she get any HB on her new property from the start of the tenancy until she moves in (or makes her claim!)  Have I missed something or is this just a really harsh situation?  Is a DHP for both properties my only option?

Thank you!

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

Yes I think you are right, although the extent of the damage on the UC side depends where the AP dates fall.  Always try to move from general needs to supported near the beginning of an AP, always try to move from supported to gen needs near the end of one.

HB being Monday-to-Sunday weekly in all cases will begin from the Monday after the claimant finally moves in - an extra of HB week is lost because the claimant can no longer benefit from the regulation that allows HB to be paid from the first week of the tenancy if you move in that same week.

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

Thank you HB Anorak!  Unfortunately this person has moved right at the end of the AP just to make matters worse…...  Already a done deal by the time we started advising unfortunately.  Thanks again.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

The government are explicit that a DHP is appropriate in this situation. See for example paras. 7.26-7.28 here.

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 200

Every day is a school day -  i wasnt aware of the changes Charles mentioned re keeping an underlying ent to UC and therefore being eligible for a DHP… and I do DHP’s every day   ( i have downloaded and saved the doc for future reference)  Might be an idea for you to quote it when your customer does apply for a DHP - otherwise you/she may get the answer that as no HB or UCJR in payment, then she isnt eligible for a DHP - the paragraphs Charles highlighted show why that’s incorrect.