Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Council Tax Collection

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 615

Don’t ask me how I came to find this Job Advertisment that is about 2 years old

https://jobs.york.gov.uk/tlive_webrecruitment/wrd/run/ETREC107GF.open?VACANCY_ID=0767369tb2&WVID=6279862SsW&LANG=USA

What struck me is the requirement that the person must be able to

“express him/herself spontaneously at length with a natural conversational flow,“avoiding or backtracking around any difficulty so smoothly that the person with whom they are conversing is hardly aware of it.”

There is a one word expression beginning with the letter B for “avoiding or backtracking around any difficulty so smoothly that the person with whom they are conversing is hardly aware of it”.  that I will not use here, but how did we get to the point that a Council can openly make the ability to deceive part of a person specification ?

By the way as far as I am aware Paul S is not a relative of mine

[ Edited: 27 Aug 2021 at 08:08 pm by Stainsby ]
Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

It sounds a bit creepy to me - BS or gaslighting?

A quick google of “avoiding or backtracking around any difficulty so smoothly that the person with whom they are conversing is hardly aware of it” suggests that this particular ability is something City of York really value. That might make it a rather odd place to work - they also want it for applicants for jobs such as…

Health Trainer, Mental Health Social Worker, Safeguarding Children and Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub Practitioner, Licensing Officer, Web Content Officer and Air Quality Hub Project Manager

... I’m guessing that for roles such as Chief Operating Officer and Corporate Director of People, this skill can just be taken as read.

[ Edited: 31 Aug 2021 at 11:28 pm by Jon Blackwell ]