Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992

Jo Chimes
forum member

Deputy Director Advice Services Alliance

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Hello rightsnet friends.
I am trying to look at s166 in the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992 on legislation. gov.uk. When I click on any of the sections in the table of contents, I get a message saying “Internal Error….An unexpected error has occurred. This error has been automatically logged and will be investigated by the development team. Select from the top menu to continue using the site.”
I havent seen this kind of message before. Does anyone else get this? Does anyone know someone at legislation.gov.uk who we can report this to?
I want to give a client some advice, and give them this section to show to their employer. I can look it up myself on a paid for legal resource site, but the employer wont be able to.
Thanks!

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

I’ve had this happen on a number of occasions with various different pieces of legislation. I’m not sure why it happens, but it usually seems to correct itself within a few days.

You would anyway be better off using the latest version of the Act, not the original version:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/4/pdfs/ukpga_19920004_310320_en.pdf#page=189

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

I have had this come up sometimes. The easy way to deal with it is to click “more resources” on the sidebar to access the PDF of the “Revised Version 31/03/2020 and then find s166 in the PDF.

This also has the advantage that it is updated to reflect amendments in the legislation - particularly that the original wording of s166 was completely replaced in 2002 so there is nothing from the original version which is still in force.

166—(1) Statutory maternity pay shall be payable to a woman–
(a) at the earnings-related rate, in respect of the first 6 weeks in respect of which it is payable; and
(b) at whichever is the lower of the earnings-related rate and such weekly rate as may be prescribed, in respect of the remaining portion of the maternity pay
period.

(1A) In subsection (1) “week” means any period of seven days.

(2) The earnings-related rate is a weekly rate equivalent to 90 per cent of a woman’s normal weekly earnings for the period of 8 weeks immediately preceding the 14th week before the expected week of confinement.

(3) The weekly rate prescribed under subsection (1)(b) above must not be less than the weekly rate of statutory sick pay for the time being specified in section 157(1) above or, if two or more such rates are for the time being so specified, the higher or highest of those rates.

(4) Where for any purpose of this Part of this Act or of regulations it is necessary to calculate the daily rate of statutory maternity pay, the amount payable by way of statutory maternity pay for any day shall be taken as one seventh of the weekly rate.