to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP refusal

Pernish
forum member

Welwyn Hatfield CAB - Adviser

Send message

Total Posts: 75

DWP letter dated June 2016 found cl eligible for award of standard rate mobility between July 2016 to June 2019 but stated in next paragraph “as you are in receipt of a pension from Poland the UK are (sic) not the competent state to pay you sickness benefit”. Next paragraph states “You’re not entitled to the daily living component from 27/7/16 because you’ve told us that you receive a pension from Poland. This means the UK isn’t responsible for paying sickness benefits to you”.

I don’t think PIP is a sickness benefit. If that’s right is it worth appealing?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3127

The daily living component of PIP is a “sickness benefit” for the purposes of the EU co-ordination rules. (Perhaps it is not a sickness benefit in the sense that we might distinguish between a ‘sickness’ benefit such as ESA or UC LCWRA and a ‘disability’ benefit such as PIP or AA - but for EU law purposes, the definition is correct).

One of the co-ordination rules - see CPAG ch 70 or Benefits for Migrants for more - is that a state which pays you a pension is generally also the competent state for the purposes of deciding which state is to pay sickness benefits. Therefore if your client was getting a pension from Poland, it would be Poland which takes responsibility for paying whatever sickness benefits are due under its law and there would be no entitlement to PIP DL.

There’s also the question of how you would appeal against a decision made in 2016… although I suppose in theory you could request revision for official error and then appeal any refusal via PH & SM v SSWP [2018] UKUT 404 (AAC).

Pernish
forum member

Welwyn Hatfield CAB - Adviser

Send message

Total Posts: 75

Thank you very much for pointing me to the relevant information. I was completely ignorant but have now reviewed the matter in CPAG. The client is above retirement age and receives PC to top up the small Polish pension but as I read it she will not be eligible for AA on the same “competent state” ground?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Yes. In theory if she were to apply for AA, the DWP would then refer her case to the Polish authorities to consider whether she has any entitlement to equivalent Polish benefits, although this rarely works smoothly. It may be sensible for her to make her own enquiries with somebody who knows about the Polish benefits system.

JACNCC
forum member

Welfare Rights - Norfolk County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 19

I know that I am late to the party on this one, but I have a similar situation, only the difference is that we have made an application for PIP just before my Polish Client reached UK retirement age , so it has yet to be assessed. However he has a UK state pension in payment - albeit quite small, but Pension Services have advised (told him) that as he used to live or work in Poland, he needs to apply to them to see if he is also entitled to a Pension from there.

They have said that his UK SRP will not stop, but if there is an entitlement to a Polish Pension, will that scupper his possible entitlement to PIP?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

As far as I am aware, the fact your client has a UK State Pension means that their PIP application should be decided as normal. If you have a copy of the CPAG Migrants Handbook 12th edition, this is covered on p.372

“If you receive a pension from two or more states and one of them is the state in which you reside, that state is responsible for the cost of your sickness benefits in kind and is therefore the competent state for paying cash sickness benefits.”

Art.23 EU Reg 883/04; SSWP v HR (AA) [2013] UKUT 66 (AAC); SL v SSWP (DLA) [2014] UKUT 108 (AAC)

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Shouldn’t DWP be considering whether NI contributions in Poland can be used to increase his UK pension through aggregation rather than inviting him to make a parallel claim?

JACNCC
forum member

Welfare Rights - Norfolk County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 19

Paul, sadly I don’t have access to the Migrants Handbook - but thank you for the information and link.

Elliot I have attached a copy of the letter (no personal information is on view)

File Attachments