to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Housing Benefit - NRPF

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 380

Cl is a UK national who has had HB in a shared ownership home for many years. They have recently married a person from outside the EEA and who has NRPF.

The new partner has quite a lot of savings which will obviously affect the amount of HB paid and needs to be declared ASAP. Although the amount of HB will no doubt go down the partner will still be involved in a claim for public funds- would this jeopardise the partner’s immigration status?

Instinctively I would say not as there was no increase in the demand on public funds caused by the new partner but the more I think about it the less sure I get!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Discussed before here Pete, HB award should be fine but you must watch out for CTS.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/17402/#82574

edit, sorry, that case and the other linked to had another passporting benefit in payment. So this may not actually be much help?

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

How much are the savings and is the person passported to full HB with IRESA etc?

Pete at CAB
forum member

Send message

HarlowAC - 21 July 2021 02:26 PM

How much are the savings and is the person passported to full HB with IRESA etc?

The savings would generate a tariff income of about £32.00 pw so there should be about£99.00 of ER ESA in payment which would passport him to HB. In reply to Paul’s point this amount of savings would ,in this area, exclude him from Council Tax Support anyway so I take it that his wife’s status is not likely to be at threat?

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Pete at CAB - 21 July 2021 02:38 PM
HarlowAC - 21 July 2021 02:26 PM

The savings would generate a tariff income of about £32.00 pw so there should be about£99.00 of ER ESA in payment which would passport him to HB. In reply to Paul’s point this amount of savings would ,in this area, exclude him from Council Tax Support anyway so I take it that his wife’s status is not likely to be at threat?

That’s my understanding yes. He is entitled to full HB as a result of passporting. No additional HB will be paid because of his wife.

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

https://www.nrpfnetwork.org.uk/

These guys are really helpful for double checking.

Pete at CAB
forum member

Send message

Thanks all, much appreciated. It turns out that my client had quite a lot of (undeclared) savings as well so in fact isn’t eligible for anything means-tested at all.