to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Sanction for leaving a job immediately before a UC claim

DC
forum member

Regional Welfare officer, Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hello wise people! I have a client who is just making an application for UC so I just want to be forearmed depending on the outcome. He gave up his last job as was physically finding the work difficult and his employer wouldn’t lighten his duties. He decided to leave and seek alternative employment so he has nothing in writing from the previous employer stating their refusal to adjust his duties but he does have medical evidence of his back problems. We will obviously argue that he had to leave his job for the sake of his health but I am not sure how ardent UC will be about applying a sanction for leaving paid work? If they do apply a sanction does the fact that he has waited a month before applying have any bearing or would he still receive a three month sanction from the start of his claim?
Thanks for anyone’s advice or experience on this.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Hi DC - the month he waited before he claimed will come off the sanction period - see para K3026 in https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/991076/admk3.pdf

But hopefully you can argue for no sanction - good luck

DC
forum member

Regional Welfare officer, Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Daphne - 06 July 2021 03:00 PM

Hi DC - the month he waited before he claimed will come off the sanction period - see para K3026 in https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/991076/admk3.pdf

But hopefully you can argue for no sanction - good luck

That’s great Daphne, really helpful. Thanks very much for the swift response.
Deana :)

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

I can only speak for myself but I am yet to see anybody sanctioned for losing a job before claiming UC. I think it is probably something reserved for fairly egregious cases, particularly in the current climate.