Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  The Social  →  Thread

How might the football have turned out?

< 1 2 3 4 > 

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Interesting press on Barnsley recently. A very weird mix of the “phoenix rising” angle and almost a resentment at the style of the success. Very reminiscent of the old long ball “anti-football” debates. Have always thought football would be tedious if every team played the same way.

Down in the National League we’re maintaining our rep as the most competitive league in Europe and the hardest one to get out of. 4 games to go and there are still 3 (arguably 4) teams fighting for the title and everyone down to 12th in with a chance of the play offs. My team are under severe pressure from the teams below us so the tension is fantastic (and we were nearly undone by 4 season ending injuries in 96 hours which led to 3 straight defeats) but we’re playing like we’ve not a care in the world. I don’t even care if we fail to get a play off place now. Saturday ought to have been tricky against a tough Yeovil team. We were 3 up in 30 minutes; manager said correctly that his only complaint was that it should have been 7. I counted that we had 15 clear chances to score in the 1st half. Sat watching the stream with my tea and biscuits and thought it the best half we’ve played in 8 years.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 118

[/quote]Good luck in the play offs Julie and hope we meet up at Wembley perhaps?[/quote]
Thank you. Fingers crossed

juliem
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 11 May 2021 10:40 AM

Interesting press on Barnsley recently. A very weird mix of the “phoenix rising” angle and almost a resentment at the style of the success. Very reminiscent of the old long ball “anti-football” debates. Have always thought football would be tedious if every team played the same way.

Down in the National League we’re maintaining our rep as the most competitive league in Europe and the hardest one to get out of. 4 games to go and there are still 3 (arguably 4) teams fighting for the title and everyone down to 12th in with a chance of the play offs. My team are under severe pressure from the teams below us so the tension is fantastic (and we were nearly undone by 4 season ending injuries in 96 hours which led to 3 straight defeats) but we’re playing like we’ve not a care in the world. I don’t even care if we fail to get a play off place now. Saturday ought to have been tricky against a tough Yeovil team. We were 3 up in 30 minutes; manager said correctly that his only complaint was that it should have been 7. I counted that we had 15 clear chances to score in the 1st half. Sat watching the stream with my tea and biscuits and thought it the best half we’ve played in 8 years.

Yes Mike I don’t think we would be the nation’s second favourite team like we were last time we went into the Premiership. Although the Sheffield Weds fan at work is hoping we do it. We certainly won’t have the naivety we had in 1997 if it comes off. .  I can appreciate people don’t like the press and run football, I still prefer wingers winging and strikers striking, with a bit of overlapping wing backs, but unfortunately points make prizes and it doesn’t matter how you get them these days. I am not happy that the second matches occur on the same day as Non League Finals day as that is one of the highlights of my year.
I haven’t paid as much attention as I normally would to the National League after they ceased the competitions below it, II was hoping for Gloucester City’s return home to be marked by promotion, it was faltering a little, then the league stopped and I ceased checking on the pyramid.
It does look very tight in the National League, I shall now pay more attention. Good Luck to Wrecsam!

juliem
forum member

Send message

Good Luck to Brentford.
Barnsley didn’t turn up until the 65th minute of the second leg. However, Swansea had some delicate flowers who fell over at every opportunity and refereeing standard was debatable. Shame about Routledge though.
Getting to the playoffs was a surprise, see what next year brings…......

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

juliem - 26 May 2021 08:59 AM

Good Luck to Brentford.
Barnsley didn’t turn up until the 65th minute of the second leg. However, Swansea had some delicate flowers who fell over at every opportunity and refereeing standard was debatable. Shame about Routledge though.

Thanks Julie, sorry that the Tykes didn’t make it, but you had a fantastic season and something to build on.

Don’t get me started on the theatrics of the Dying Swans, but hoping that we can overcome. Have managed to snaffle a couple of tickets for Wembley so fingers and toes crossed.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 26 May 2021 11:06 AM
juliem - 26 May 2021 08:59 AM

Good Luck to Brentford.

Thanks Julie, sorry that the Tykes didn’t make it, but you had a fantastic season and something to build on.

Don’t get me started on the theatrics of the Dying Swans, but hoping that we can overcome. Have managed to snaffle a couple of tickets for Wembley so fingers and toes crossed.

Glad you have tickets Paul, have a fantastic afternoon and hopeful on the result. I shall be watching with a suitable beverage. Hope you get better officials - Dying Swans will be out for an Oscar nomination again.  Good Luck!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Can I add my best wishes Paul? The Bees have obviously been on the up for a few seasons; impressive looking new stadium’ Moneyball approach clearly working and the quality of players nicked by EPL clubs suggest a very bright future. If not this season then clearly soon. It’s a future I can only aspire to. I’ve fond memories of a great day out to the old place in the FA Cup a few years back with my little ‘un (who is now 16 :(). Jamie Tolley winner for us as I recall. How things have changed since then.

Barnsley fell short but not by much realistically. It will be genuinely interesting to see how they develop next season now.

As a Welshman I should side with Swansea but the presence of the traitor Cooper means I just can’t. He is an excellent coach by all accounts and clearly going places but I’m afraid we marked his card some time ago after he departed the mighty Cae Ras with derogatory comments ringing in our ears about fans ownership. Ironic he should end up with the Swans whose own flirtation with fans ownership was much touted but ended badly as it often does (Luon Town, come on down).

Very jealous you’re going to get to see an actual game. Looks unlikely for me until next season. We have one game to go and whilst we sit in 6th it’s a huge ask to go to Daggers and get any kind of result. Anything less than a win makes it highly likely that the 4 teams chasing the last 3 places with us will overtake us at the last. Even if we make the play offs our current team just lacks a young, fit enough defensive midfield player so I’d be impressed if we got past the first game. Overall it’s actually been the most enjoyable season for about 8 years, if only because live streaming has meant being able to pay a tenner and see us home and away every week.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Thanks Mike, they’re certainly getting more right than wrong at Brentford in general. Be nice to have at least one season in the top flight in the new stadium as well.

Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed the season as well as roll on getting back into actual grounds, it was so enjoyable on Saturday, had a tear in my eye at the final whistle.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Suspect that if you do make it then you have much in place to survive far more than one season. Frankly, if a Stoke or a Burnley can do seasons on end then so can Brentford. I also find the whole Moneyball angle hugely attractive. I can see why some have issues with it but the bottom line is that it does largely work.

Some idiot has put our season decider on BT Sport Saturday lunchtime which immediately means no live stream broadcast. Leaves me with audio descriptive commentary on Zoom. I am gutted. Have seen every game this season bar the ones on BT.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Well done Brentford. Excellent start to the match and Swansea were the dirtiest team seen in a long while. Good luck to many folks’ new second team..
Cross about Newport as I really wanted them to do it.
And as Mike Hughes said, it was too much for Wrexham but quite exciting with the jiggling around of play off contestants.
Roll on the fixture lists and the ordering of life for the next year!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Still walking on sunshine and can’t really believe it’s really happened to be honest.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Indeed, would also like to add my congrats. re: Brentford. Immensely satisfying that it was Swansea who fell short. Some of the Swans diving was clearly EPL quality though.

Sadly a weekend when Swans, Newport and Wrexham all fell short. Newport undone by a penalty that clearly wasn’t even a foul and was outside the area to boot. Happy to see Morecambe make it with one of our better ex players (Nat Knight-Percival) but also well pleased for Blackpool. The latter have finally escaped the Oyston curse and their captain was our ex keeper Maxy (Chris Maxwell). He made an inexplicable error on a low cross for Lincolns opener (fastest OG in Wembley history apparently) but he then produced 2 outstanding saves to clinch the game for them when they were leading 2-1.

My prediction came true with my lot. Our main defensive mid was missing. His replacement (who usually plays at right back) did okayish but then went off with a head injury just before half time. His replacement, who is a lovely winger, cannot play in the middle at all and took all of 10 minutes to get sent off for a tackle which could only be explained by him being a fish out of water. Under the circumstances a draw with 10 men was excellent but, as expected, not enough.

Very harsh indeed to not renew our managers contract. Happy to see his sidekicks go but very harsh indeed to sack him off. Absolutely fascinating that we’ve been able to attract Les Reed to a director of football type role though. That does auger well.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Someone has to ask, even if it’s only to annoy the Celts…

Is it coming home?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

BC Welfare Rights - 01 July 2021 11:20 AM

Is it coming home?

Covid-19 probably is.

This Celt is currently more occupied by the horror of my team being sponsored by Tik-Tok.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Mike Hughes - 01 July 2021 01:58 PM

Is it coming home?

Covid-19 probably is.

This Celt is currently more occupied by the horror of my team being sponsored by Tik-Tok.

Hollywood and China = 5 yr plan to the CL? Oil money is so yesterday!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 01 July 2021 03:57 PM
Mike Hughes - 01 July 2021 01:58 PM

Is it coming home?

Covid-19 probably is.

Hollywood and China = 5 yr plan to the CL? Oil money is so yesterday!

I am honestly horrified. I have totally fallen off my moral high horse with the Citeh fans I work with (well, the one). It’s just embarrassing. Our shirt sponsor is effectively a data gathering exercise for the Chinese government. Yikes. Quite like our managerial appointment but it’s not a massive change from the previous incumbent.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Is it coming home?

No

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

If it were to be coming home I think there’s a strong argument for pointing out that football largely originated in Scotland.

So, still no 😊

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Mike Hughes - 01 July 2021 04:15 PM

If it were to be coming home I think there’s a strong argument for pointing out that football largely originated in Scotland.

but it could hardly have then been described as the ‘beautiful game’ - only after it was codified by a bunch of public schoolboys ...... oh, err ...... ?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 01 July 2021 04:32 PM
Mike Hughes - 01 July 2021 04:15 PM

but it could hardly have then been described as the ‘beautiful game’ - only after it was codified by a bunch of public schoolboys ...... oh, err ...... ?

I always love the “beautiful game” theory. I mean, when was it ever the case? The EPL is probably the most “beautiful” the game has ever been now that it’s become a non-contact ballet with operatic screams; magical dives where your arms flay symmetrically and your legs stick together.

The excellent “Inverting The Pyramid” by the equally excellent Jonathan Wilson does emphasise just how non-beautiful it has always been.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

It’s certainly more beautiful than when Carlton Palmer and David Batty were the first two names on the team sheet

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

David Batty severed 2 fingertips as a child and kept them in a cardboard box. Years later he took them into school following a request to bring in unusual items for the last day of term. When his teacher found out what were they were she screamed and threw them on the floor but then gave him a Mars Bar as a prize for bringing in the most unusual objects.

Apparently he never liked football and only played it because of his dad (which is presumably why he played for Leeds).

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Harsh 😊 but very funny.

I wanted to look the story up whilst still working but apparently our IT system thinks the story contains vulgar terms.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 01 July 2021 05:40 PM

I wanted to look the story up whilst still working but apparently our IT system thinks the story contains vulgar terms.

An example of the Scunthorpe Problem? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

(Page contains swear words)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Yes, that.

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

“The word or string “ass” may be replaced by “butt”, resulting in ..... “buttbuttinate” for “assassinate”.”

Or even Button Villa, I guess.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Which takes me no closer to remembering to look up the David Batty story during my fantastically long (not) lunch time.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

One of those anomalies for us last night, we managed to win a game without having a single shot on target. Can dream of a mid-table finish for another week.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

BC Welfare Rights - 18 August 2021 10:00 AM

One of those anomalies for us last night, we managed to win a game without having a single shot on target. Can dream of a mid-table finish for another week.

HUGE bounce back after Saturday 😂

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thanks for reminding me Shawn. I had tried my very best to erdicate Saturday from my memory, both for the utter incompetence of our performance (which wasn’t much better last night) and the officials who did their very best to sink to our level. If you remember Lampard’s disallowed ‘goal’ against Germany in the 2010 World Cup? For Fulham’s first goal the ball was about twice that distance over the dead ball line before going in off Mitrovic’s arm. If the fans hadn’t been as lethargic as the players there might have been a riot when the replay was shown on the big screen. The steward on our gate said he had asked one of the police officers present to investigate it as a crime.

It is also the first time I have ever seen a referee blow for a blatant foul, miles from the touchline, then insist on awarding a throw in rather than a free kick. Cue much head scratching on and off the pitch.  Fulham’s sending off looked very harsh too, not that it made any difference.

I would guess that we won’t be the only team that is taken to the cleaners by Fulham this season. They looked pretty good at times. Onwards but not much upwards for us.

Edit - Tried to attach a photo of just how far over the line the ball was but it’s not having it.

[ Edited: 18 Aug 2021 at 02:52 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]