to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Video hearings - any tips?

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

I have my first two video hearings shortly. One is a judge-alone hearing about capital in UC, the other a mobility issue in PIP with a full panel. Any tips from anyone who has already done video hearings on how to present cases most effectively, and any pitfalls to avoid?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Similar to Zoom meetings I would say. A stable internet connection will obviously help. A well lit room with no backlight and background noise kept to a minimum. If you can mute yourself when not speaking that cuts down on possible feedback. Camera on a level with your eye line and try to look into it whilst speaking, rather than at the images on the screen, thereby replicating eye contact. Check they can hear you OK when you first start speaking. Wear what you would for a face to face hearing (from the waist up, anyway) A neutral background with nothing overly personal or distracting within camera shot. Test out what you look like on your web cam beforehand so that you are not trying to readjust your image during the hearing (bearing in mind that they might be able to see slightly more of your surroundings on their screen than you can on yours). I think that any messages sent in the chat function are visible to everyone. And if two or more people are speaking at once it is almost impossible for anyone to hear anything, as per telephone hearings. From memory, you are also potentially visible to the panel when you are in the virtual waiting room, even though you can’t see them.

Beyond that, treat it like you would any other hearing. Good luck.