to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

Children living abroad

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Hi quick question. If a child goes to live in Morocco, can the parents continue to claim CB and CTC for them?

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 198

one of the main qualifying conditions for both Cben and CTC is tht the person claiming is living with the kids…. if the kids are permanrtly abroad, then the Cben/ CTC should end as the person isnt responsible for them any longer

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Prisca - 11 May 2021 12:52 PM

one of the main qualifying conditions for both Cben and CTC is tht the person claiming is living with the kids…. if the kids are permanrtly abroad, then the Cben/ CTC should end as the person isnt responsible for them any longer

That may be true for CTC, but the rules for CB are different. It is sufficient if the claimant is contributing £ at the same rate per week as CB to the child, even if s/he doesn’t reside with them. The child would normally have to be resident in GB, but that is waived under article 67 of the EC (883/2004) regs, to cover member states.

Unfortunately that naturally doesn’t cover Morocco, and I don’t know of any alternative route.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Thanks for the reply. My initial advice was that she wouldn’t be entitled to either but she told me she has spoken to them and they have told her it’s fine. She must have been mistaken.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 222

I had a similar case with children in Egypt. It boiled down to HMRC asking her whether she was still the main carer when she reported that they were abroad, and client saying yes as she felt she was and them continuing payment on this basis. Discovered after the fact and overpayment deemed non recoverable after complaint on the basis that it was not reasonable for client to understand the nuance of what they were asking her when she had given them the full set of facts. Hopefully useful!