to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

Chasing up after a successful Child Benefit appeal

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 463

It is many, many, moons since I dealt with a Child Benefit appeal and, knowing their legendary tendency toward monolithic inertia, thought it was worth asking…

How long would you give it before following up on a successful Child Ben appeal?

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

Dan:

Have you asked your client whether they have received a letter from HMRC telling the client that they have requested a Statement of Reasons?

We recently represented a client who also won a CB appeal.  Within 2 weeks she received a letter informing her that they had asked for a SoR and she wouldn’t be getting a payment yet.  We have never received such a letter, neither does the client’s letter show that we were copied in to it.

Ruth

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

“Memorsises’monolithic inertia’”. Bound to be an occasion this week I’ll need to use that.

In the meantime, I shall boringly echo Ruth. I’ve not done many of these for a long time but had cause to interact with someone who had this past year and the view was that HMRC routinely ask for SORs/ROPs. They’ve been told off by the high ups but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 463

Mike Hughes - 17 May 2021 10:36 AM

“Memorsises’monolithic inertia’”. Bound to be an occasion this week I’ll need to use that.

Glad to be of service.

Thanks both.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Just to add I had the same. Romanian client refused CHB, appealed and won
No payment as they asked for SOR, which took 2 months to arrive. Child benefit sat on it for a month and did nothing regarding taking it further
got it eventually…...