Short-term Award PIP appeal decision

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Hi,

Hoping for some advice.

Client went for an appeal in 2018 and was awarded PIP until 2021. They’ve now received a letter stating that their PIP claim is due to end and they should make a new claim.

I was slightly confused that he needed to make a new claim rather than be sent an Award review form - I spoke to the DWP who informed me that the Tribunal decision was awarded for a “Short-term award” meaning once the PIP claim reached the end date, they would need to make a new claim.

I’ve read through the decision notice (no SoR as client won so didn’t think it was necessary) and it doesn’t mention anything about “Short-term Award”.

My main concern is that with the backlog of PIP claims our client will be without PIP once it runs out in May/June.

Is there anything I can do or has the DWP followed correct procedure?

Thanks

Adam

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Yes this is normal. DWP administratively defines awards as short or long term.

In a short term award, you are prompted to reclaim and in a long term award the review process is started a year before the end date.

As this is to do with administrative categorisation of the claim rather than the actual legal decision made, it is not part of the FtT decision.

Bcfu
forum member

Send message

Ah OK.

Thanks for clarifying.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Elliot Kent - 15 April 2021 12:14 PM

In a short term award, you are prompted to reclaim and in a long term award the review process is started a year before the end date.

As this is to do with administrative categorisation of the claim rather than the actual legal decision made, it is not part of the FtT decision.

Although to be fair, it is yet another example of a pointless administrative exercise that causes confusion and seems to try to deliberately trip people up, as we see fairly regularly on these boards.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Where does the boundary between short term and long term lie?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

There is a guidance document on that which I would link but for the fact I am walking down Redheugh Bridge

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Ianb - 15 April 2021 12:43 PM

Where does the boundary between short term and long term lie?

Here we go:
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Award%20period%20guidance%20-%208%20August%202018%20%282%29.pdf

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 15 April 2021 12:35 PM

Although to be fair, it is yet another example of a pointless administrative exercise that causes confusion and seems to try to deliberately trip people up, as we see fairly regularly on these boards.

Not going to disagree with you there Paul…

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-1113/UIN_174062_-_Award_period_guidance_10.10.18.pdf

2 years, usually. Though when the award is made by a Tribunal, it seems pretty random how DWP classify it. 

Edit
When you look at the data tables, if it is a first award of PIP the DWP overwhelmingly make short term ones. If it is a DLA transfer or renewal claim, it is much more likely to be a longer term or indefinite award. Maybe they apply the same logic to Tribunal awards?

[ Edited: 15 Apr 2021 at 01:36 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Thanks for the replies, interesting comments re lack of consistency.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Just to make clear, I haven’t seen any data that differentiates between DWP awards and Tribunal decisions. That is just my own observations from my caseload.

Bcfu
forum member

Send message

I’ve found a template on CPAG JR Project regarding not extending FTT decisions in line with COVID extensions - would this be applicable for my clients?

Note I’m filling in a new PIP claim form for them next week.

Thanks

Adam