Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Revision of cESA to include irESA top-up with premiums - still possible? 

Rebecca Johnson
forum member

Welfare rights officer, Sandwell Council

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Can cESA still be revised to include irESA top-up with enhanced and severe disability premiums?

The client is on contributory ESA support group £113.55p/w. He is single, on PIP, no-one gets carers allowance. On 25 Feb 2021 he rang DWP and completed IS10 over phone. No decision yet on irESA revision (it has been referred to processing, but tel operators telling us he has to claim UC).

This has caused rent arrears:

- After sofa-surfing he started council tenancy from 25th Jan 2021, lives alone.

- He made new claim for HB/CTr on 22nd Jan. The HB claim was not considered as he was not on income-related benefit/no sdp. The CTr was awarded. No decision ever made on HB.

- Rent not paid since start of tenancy, arrears over £500.

Am I right holding out for sdp revision to pre-27 Jan to then go back to HB to request they made decision that eligible for HB due to sdp?

Thanks in advance.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3131

Old-style ESA includes both contributory and income related parts, whereas new-style ESA is only ever contributory. So if your client is on old-style ESA, your plan ought to work and if he is on new-style ESA it won’t.

Rebecca Johnson
forum member

Welfare rights officer, Sandwell Council

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Thank you Elliot. His award has been confirmed as contributory ESA (not new style). My first priority is getting sdp revised and in place before 27 Jan so I can ask HB to make a decision. Then I need to chase full backdating of enhanced and severe disability premiums.