< 1 2 3 4 > 

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

juliem - 23 July 2020 01:18 PM

But good luck or see you at the Dove!

Now the thought of that does cheer me up, some cheap and tasty ale and a view towards the ground from the terrace :-)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 23 July 2020 11:05 AM

Hmm, not so sure the force majeure defence stands up to any scrutiny, that’s a coincidence.

Choi never attended a game – apparently regarding the club purely as an investment – but, in June, Wigan was transferred to another business in which he had a controlling interest, the New Leader Fund (NLF) registered in the Cayman Islands.

Two weeks ago, there was a further twist when control of the NLF passed to Hong Kong businessman Au Yeung, who tried forcing the club’s UK-based directors to accept responsibility for a £24 million loan used to repay Choi. When the directors refused, Yeung attempted to liquidate the club, before placing it in administration.

A Major Global Scandal’ The Collapse of Wigan Athletic

Much much more to the Wigan thing than in that article. The Begbies Traynor guys did Wrexham AFC and they’re good guys. So, if they go public with concerns you can (ahem) bet that this has a long way to run yet. Exceptionally thorough are the words that spring to mind. The story doing the rounds locally is mesmerising but probably best not for a public forum.

Bottom line is that Wigan are unlikely to see any kind of justice because the EFL still haven’t changed anything since Wrexham were the first to lose points and Bury were ejected. Each of these clubs gets labelled as poorly managed or over spenders or similar taints and the truth is so far from that (with the honourable exception of Bury) that it beggars belief (as John Major once put it).

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

shawn mach - 24 July 2020 04:22 PM

New Premiership and EFL seasons start on 12 September:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/24/premier-league-confirms-next-season-will-start-on-12-september

... although I see Scotland are starting sooner than soon:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership/scores-fixtures/2020-08

Social distancing has long been in place for most of Scottish football for some years :)

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I’m absolutely chomping at the bit for Saturday after the 2 weeks international break, although we will probably lose away at Stoke. How did we ever get through those days of April and May, was it really just because it was sunny??

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

I managed 21 days without a league game and didn’t miss it one bit. Quite enjoyed the Welsh performances though and when my team finally came back away at Hartlepool on Tuesday night it was with one of those immensely inept performances you watch through fingers until you score a great winning goal so against the run of play you didn’t know you could be quite that embarrassed.

Still, we are no doubt days away from the national press labelling us Deadpool United.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Once upon a time I went trekking up a mountain with bloke I met on a bus. He grunted and swore a lot for 3 or 4 days, never enunciating much else. We arrived, bleary eyed and broken, at the top of a 3,500m volcano. As a huge Asian sun rose on the horizon he burst into beautifully perfect song, every note spreading across the vast crater and fading into the distant jungle…

Wrexham lager
Wrexham Lager
Feed me until I can drink no more…
Feed me until I can drink no more

One of the most spine chilling moments of my life

[ Edited: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:05 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Sounds ominously like a guy called Paul Hughes (no relation) but to be fair it could be any of us.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Why would anyone drink Wrexham larger let alone eulogize it in song (on account of the contents rather that the place/team)?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Peter - how very dare you 😊 The original Wrexham Lager was a fairly vile concoction. Very 1970s. Ended up with Marstons brewery.  Only memorable for producing some truly great football shirts with the logo on the front. However, the revived version is a lovely thing on every level.

1 - a local brewery revived the original recipe which was the first lager to be brought to the UK.

2 - the original recipe is very different to the drink most people think of. It drinks well.

3 - the logo is not the original (for lots of reasons) but is equally lovely. At present it merely graces our shorts but I am hopeful one day it will again grace the shirt. Certainly better than that Ifor Williams blue monstrosity we currently have. I’d have Crosville Buses back over that.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Mike Hughes - 20 November 2020 12:59 PM

Peter - how very dare you :) The original Wrexham Lager was a fairly vile concoction. Very 1970s. Ended up with Marstons brewery.  Only memorable for producing some truly great football shirts with the logo on the front. However, the revived version is a lovely thing on every level.

1 - a local brewery revived the original recipe which was the first lager to be brought to the UK.

2 - the original recipe is very different to the drink most people think of. It drinks well.

3 - the logo is not the original (for lots of reasons) but is equally lovely. At present it merely graces our shorts but I am hopeful one day it will again grace the shirt. Certainly better than that Ifor Williams blue monstrosity we currently have. I’d have Crosville Buses back over that.

To be fair Mike it may be as far back as the days of Crosville (loved that green) that I was ‘forced’ to drink Wrexham lager (in the days when the only pub within walking distance of places we stayed only served cryogenic euro fizz type concoctions - and no Crosville service to a decent pub even in those days!). Perhaps NAWRA could arrange free samples when we can all meet again in person? Enjoy a few this weekend if you can!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

To be fair Peter I used “vile concoction” as a replacement for “urine” or similar. There was nothing positive to say about the original beyond “great logo on a shirt”, It is a very pleasant drink indeed nowadays although following a largely gluten free diet means that my occasional stock has to be depleted at a much more cautious rate than I would like. It was at one point available on Amazon. At another point I was forced to buy it from Chester Beer and Wine in Hoole which really wasn’t on.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Yeh, the guy I went up the mountain with (not Paul Hughes), when he did occasionally speak it was mostly to denigrate Chester and everything and anyone in any way associated with it.

Feed me ‘til I want no more, I should have said. For a potted history of Wrexham Lager, its German heritage and the trials and tribulations of empire and austerity - https://www.wrexhamlager.co.uk/history/

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Ah well I disassociate myself from the more rabid of my kin. Jester are just comedic. I was really disappointed Ryan and Rob even mentioned them. Their only significance was in being the club who:

- employed the magnificently bonkers Terry Smith. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Smith_(football)
- were destroyed by the first man to fail the fit and proper person test. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Vaughan_Sr. He couldn’t even fail it for football reasons.
- employed the only manager more morally bankrupt than Ryan Giggs. See https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wright-accused-of-misconduct-5294665

I had forgotten that we were the lager on the Titanic.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Very sad to hear of the passing of Diego Maradona today. Rising from the humblest of backgrounds in the slums of Beunos Aires to become one of the greatest footballers ever to have played the game. Taking in an unlikely friendship with Fidel Castro, hero worship across much of the developing world, involvement with the mafia and becoming a hate figure of much of the Western media along the way. A true ghetto legend, RIP Diego.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

On the sad passing of Diego Armando Maradona, I’d really recommend you watch Asif Kapadia’s recent movie Diego Maradona - it’s an absolutely stunning piece of documentary and shows so much more than you might know about this genius of football.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

juliem - 06 April 2020 03:31 PM

I have been supporting Barnsley since 1978 and quite frankly we deserve to be relegated, too crap too often and too much given away. If the season were to be expunged, it would only prolong the hope and the usual agony for another year. I often have the feeling that watching Barnsley is like having a beloved old dog and just waiting until it has to be put down. Then every few years you have a fresh surge of hope, new players,stylish play and results and it’s like having a new puppy.

11 months on, how are you feeling about the new puppy juliem? Our manky old mutt is looking like it definitely needs putting down soon.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

BC Welfare Rights - 11 March 2021 02:49 PM

11 months on, how are you feeling about the new puppy juliem? Our manky old mutt is looking like it definitely needs putting down soon.

The Tykes have come with a quiet run up the rails and are up into the play-off positions, quite a turn-around.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Good to see this thread revived. I have been quietly enjoying the rise of Barnsley from the moment of his appointment. It’s beginning to look ominous for those above them. Similarly interesting things going on at Bolton where Evatt is doing what he did at Barrow inside a season but this time with likely less money.

Meanwhile at my level magnificent chaos abounds. Two divisions have stopped. One of them didn’t want to but had already agreed that their votes would be counted with that of the other division. No-one knows how relegation or promotion will be decided. In the National League itself 7 teams don’t want/can’t afford to carry on but 6 of them are anyway. Dover have gone into hibernation. The clubs believe they were told a further grant would be forthcoming from Sports England to complete the season and are incensed to now learn it’s “low cost loans” all the way. How one repays a low cost loan with crowds of zero will be interesting to see. In the meantime, the NL in an act of magnificent incompetence has threatened fines for all those clubs who fail to fulfill fixtures!

In the midst of this my club were told that, despite having had a grant from Sports England in order to start the season they could not have a low cost loan because “you’re Welsh”. I find myself torn between a long term belief that fan ownership is the only sustainable model and being able to laugh when our sugar daddy owners tweeted “We don’t need their money”. A phrase no-one in North Wales ever thought they’d hear.

On the pitch we seem to have mastered playing appalling but scoring endlessly wonderful goals and have risen to the heady heights of 5th with 1 defeat in 11. Strange times indeed.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 118

Hello all,
The new puppy has settled in very well. Having lost the Voldemort lookalike who’s game plans were confusing, and bringing in an Alsatian with a gimlet eye - the players report he can just look at them and they comply- then things are vastly improved. They are a good unit, and whilst I don’t understand the pressing football, it no longer matters as long as it works. It’s all points not performances these days. The only team so far who coped with well it have been Derby, because they copied it.
It’s all very nice and exciting to be up there, not on the edge of relegation. But it is scary - the year in the Premiership was both one of the best things and one of the worst things we ever did in my (heretical) opinion. It was brilliant but it raised impossible expectations of a quick return. The staying up is harder than the getting up, even if you do get large amounts of money thrown at you.

And if we got to the play-off final, well there would hopefully be a crowd there! Though not sure how we would cope on a real pitch not a tatie field as ours is most of the time. it didn’t have enough time to settle and then got a lot of rain/snow.

As for the HTAFC old mutt, yes he’s looking on dodgy ground.  I like all local teams to do well (and can stretch “local” a fair way), in a descending order, with Leeds at the bottom. But even dirty Leeds have been quite fun this season.
So onwards and upwards, for us all. and yes Mike Hughes, I think the National Leagues were scammed about the loans. .

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Not sure that the National League were scammed as such. More that they themselves appear to have misrepresented what was on offer.

juliem
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 12 March 2021 07:52 PM

Not sure that the National League were scammed as such. More that they themselves appear to have misrepresented what was on offer.

I guess they saw what they wanted to see, and were hoping that as money is being magicked in all directions, then their belief of what the offer was could become reality.

Anyway, the Tykes march on. Quite difficult and exciting at Bournemouth. I know that ex-players doing commentaries are expected to be a little biased in favour of their previous teams, but John Williams (“Willow”) took it to a whole new level. How very dare these upstarts come back in the second half and beat his team? He was very subdued at the end.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Few things in life are as irritating as having to listen to the ifollow commentary from the opposing team commentators. particularly if you get tonked 3-0 like we did at Brentford (your team may be superb Paul but your commentators are terrible). More recently, our head of football operations, who is allowed to travel, has taken over the commentary at away games. It’s quite entertaining to hear a board member slagging off the players for being unable to complete a 5 yard pass. He couldn’t trap a ball if he dug a hole in the ground and put sticks and leaves over it…

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

BC Welfare Rights - 15 March 2021 09:58 AM

Few things in life are as irritating as having to listen to the ifollow commentary from the opposing team commentators. particularly if you get tonked 3-0 like we did at Brentford (your team may be superb Paul but your commentators are terrible). More recently, our head of football operations, who is allowed to travel, has taken over the commentary at away games. It’s quite entertaining to hear a board member slagging off the players for being unable to complete a 5 yard pass. He couldn’t trap a ball if he dug a hole in the ground and put sticks and leaves over it…

Oh don’t, the people commentating on i-follow for Brentford are universally awful.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

I have the privilege of being able to access ADC (Audio Descriptive Commentary). If your club has it then I’d recommend it as vastly superior to your average club media team commentary. If you don’t have it then frankly it’s worth lobbying for. Whilst aimed at the blind and partially-sighted it’s a joy for all football fans because it involves the lost art of… commentary! You know that thing where they say who is on the ball; where they are; what’s happening around them etc. If you are a home fan you will suddenly discover who the opposition are. If you’re an away fan you will notice a conspicuous damping down of opinion in favour of fact. Our commentary is via Zoom whilst our commentators watch the live stream themselves. On those rare occasions they’ve been let into the ground it’s been terrible as there’s about a 40 second lag between audio and video.

I have put my money where my mouth is and done publicity for it on BBC Wales Today and more recently via the Wrexham AFC and DSA Twitter accounts. There are still glitches. I had to text them in Zoom recently and explain we were playing Wealdstone not Weldstone (!) and Saturday I had to explain to a new commentator doing some cover that our left back is Reckord not Reckford. Overall though it’s vastly superior.

Gave up on our media team commentary as it never ceases to amaze me how crass it can get and how your team can score a goal and 20 minutes later you’re still waiting for the description of what happened. The ongoing confusion between being excited and emotional and full of cliches and… actually commentating is… frustrating.

The latest low for me was during a game where the sync was out for the ADC commentary so I suffered the last 20 minutes of club commentary. Bearing in mind we are now a club owned by our friends on another continent I was appalled to hear our dominance not described as “really getting on top” or “turning the screw”. No, better than that… “Wrexham are really putting their foot on the neck here!”.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

I love Oggie, our regular Radio Leeds commentator . He calls a liner a liner for a start, rather than an assistant referee and he is fond of describing midfielders as ratting around for the ball. When our impossibly handsome centre half, Christopher Schindler, received a nasty facial injury during a game, Oggie was true to form: “You can hear the anguish in tens of thousands of female voices across Kirklees from here - not on the face, not on the face.”

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Yes, top marks for “liner”.

I quite liked our ADC getting a little too descriptive introducing the officials a few games back with “Fairly certain that had there been a crowd here they would by now have very specifically identified who had indeed ‘eaten all the pies’”.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Meanwhile:

The home of Bolton Wanderers Football Club will begin a new life as a temporary court this week ...

The versatile stadium has previously hosted concerts for the likes of Oasis, Elton John, and Coldplay. It will now provide some of the 60 Nightingale courtrooms which will be available nationwide by the end of the month – set up by the government to boost capacity and alleviate pressures on the courts and tribunals system caused by the pandemic.

More: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nightingale-court-opens-in-bolton-stadium

juliem
forum member

Send message

Now that we’ve come to the end of the “normal” season, pending possible sanctions on Derby for whatever misbehaviour, then good luck to Brentford and some but less good luck to any Jacks or Bournemouth fans out there.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

juliem - 11 May 2021 08:44 AM

Now that we’ve come to the end of the “normal” season, pending possible sanctions on Derby for whatever misbehaviour, then good luck to Brentford and some but less good luck to any Jacks or Bournemouth fans out there.

Good luck in the play offs Julie and hope we meet up at Wembley perhaps?