Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Treatment of a Winter Business Grant for a self employed person by UC

clive
forum member

Newcastle Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 122

Hello
Self employed person got a £6191Winter Business Grant from Local Authority. UC have treated it as income and stopped UC for several AP’s (done the ‘surplus earnings’ thing). My contention is that it should be treated as capital, as it wasn’t an SEISS but a one-off grant.

I’m aware of The Universal Credit (Coronavirus) (Self-employed Claimants and Reclaims) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 regs which says grants to help self employed with coronavirus are ignored as capital for a year, but if UC stick to arguing its income, I’d like to be able to argue that’s also ignored as income.

In referring to this reg, Revenuebenefits (on https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/entitlement-to-uc/self-employment/calculating-income-from-self-employment/) say:

‘Our understanding is that the other coronavirus business grants – such as the small business grant and retail/leisure grant are disregarded as income for UC purposes.’

Does anyone have anything more conclusive on this?

Are such grants capital and not income AND if they are income should they be ignored as income too?

Thank you as ever

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

At paragrapgh 12 here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-winter-grant-scheme/covid-winter-grant-scheme-guidance-for-local-councils it says that they are being classified as Local Welfare Provision.  LWPs are disregarded indefinitely at 52483 in the DMG https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/932378/dmgch52.pdf
I couldn’t find LWP in a brief search of the ADM
Actually, that may be a different thing to Business Grants. sorry if this is a red herring

[ Edited: 10 Mar 2021 at 04:00 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1414

Generally, payments are either income or capital, not both. See some of the case law I linked to here.

There is an ADM Memo here, which suggests that business grants and loans will be treated as capital - see para 14.

clive
forum member

Send message

Thank you both very much.
As an aside, The worker I’m advising on this showed me the response they’d got following the mand recon request, on their client’s journal from UC: “There is no right of appeal as this is universal credit policy…”. and “If you disagree, please speak with your MP’

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

clive - 11 March 2021 03:08 PM

The worker I’m advising on this showed me the response they’d got following the mand recon request, on their client’s journal from UC: “There is no right of appeal as this is universal credit policy…”. and “If you disagree, please speak with your MP’

Well you’re quite clearly defeated then Clive.  I imagine that you think it’s pointless taking it further?

:-)

clive
forum member

Send message

indeed. But they’re right I might be speaking to the MP but not on the basis they think

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3122

Yes I remember that one.

“Be ye never so high, Universal Credit policy is above you”

clive
forum member

Send message

Nice one. Thomas Fuller would have been proud of that one!

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 447

Charles - 10 March 2021 05:27 PM

Generally, payments are either income or capital, not both. See some of the case law I linked to here.

There is an ADM Memo here, which suggests that business grants and loans will be treated as capital - see para 14.

Does anyone know whether the Scottish Strategic Framework Business Support Grants should be treated as capital?