to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Leaving the European Union, past presence and Kavanagh

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

The case of Kavanagh established that claimants who had recently arrived in the UK from EU countries did not need to satisfy the past presence test for DLA if they could demonstrate a genuine and sufficient link to the UK.

As this was based on a mixture of domestic and EU law, do the same principles maintain now that the UK has left the EU? Now that we are no longer signed up to the Treaty of Europe, can people rely in residence in other member states for this kind of thing?

I’m really struggling to get my head around how things stand on these type of issues post-Brexit - am I worrying for no reason here? Any help gratefully received as always.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Any one have any ideas on this one?

I’ve checked DMG guidance and that remains as it was (albeit incorrect as it hasn’t even been updated to include the outcome of Kavanagh).

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Hi Paul - if noone on here knows, how about contacting the EU Rights and Brexit Hub at York Uni - Charlotte O’Brien and Alice Welsh from there did a great presentation at the last NAWRA.

Not sure it’s completely in their remit but maybe worth an ask - https://www.eurightshub.york.ac.uk/referral

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Far as I know the co-ordination rules are broadly being retained and I would imagine that the caselaw will continue to have effect. There is a power for the senior courts to depart from the ECJ cases which underpin Kavanagh but they haven’t done so. I suspect its business as usual until you hear otherwise.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Brilliant, thanks both for your replies, appreciated :-)