to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Single Pensioner able to claim WTC?

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 288

The CPAG handbook seems pretty clear that my client would not be able to make a new claim for WTC, but i wanted to check.

She has just stopped her ESA claim because she has been working over permitted work limits.  She is not getting SDP.  She intends to claim SEISS 3 and 4.  Then in April she reaches state retirement pension age.

She wants to continue working and defer her state pension.  She owns her property.  She is single

As far as I understand it, she cannot claim UC once of SRP age and will be directed to pension credit.  Because she continues to work, and because claiming pension credit will affect the financial benefit of a SRP deferment,  WTC would be preferable, but it is definitely no longer possible?

EKS

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

Yes, that is correct, unfortunately. Unless she has already has an award of CTC.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Yes I’m afraid you’re correct, when we raised this we DWP, they said that the numbers of people affected were fairly small, relatively speaking, and therefore they weren’t minded to try and get Ministers to consider any alternatives unfortunately. Considering all the other guff with mixed-age couples and encouraging people to work, that seems ridiculous but there you go.

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 288

Many thanks both and Paul - thank you for the detailed reply, I had thought there was a bit more to it. Thanks for clarifying.