Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Cost of travel for C-19 vaccination

Liz W
forum member

Welfare Benefits Unit, York

Send message

Total Posts: 17

Hi All

I’ve just rung the NHSBSA and been advised that people cannot claim the travel costs for their C-19 Vaccination appointment.

Thought I’d share as I nearly advised that someone would get help and was going to give details of applying for a refund of the taxi fare. This NHSBSA helpline were very clear although they couldn’t say why it would not be paid. I thought the vaccine appointment would come under ‘fares to attend hospital or any other establishment’ - albeit a temporary structure in a car park.

I’ve not yet delved further (eg definitions, how to challenge, inform MP) but thought I’d give a heads up. Any advice welcome!

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

I think it must be because you can only claim for travel costs to a hospital (or carpark) appointment when you are under the care of a consultant who referred you for treatment

Liz W
forum member

Send message

Thanks Vonny

CPAG referencing took me to NHS (TERC) Regs and this:
(1A) This paragraph applies to services under the 2006 Act which are-
(a) not primary medical services or primary dental services;
(b) provided pursuant to a referral by a medical practitioner or dental practitioner; and
(c) not provided during the same visit and at the same premises at which the primary
medical services or primary dental services which lead to the referral by a medical
practitioner or primary dental practitioner are provided.

So I agree it’s the lack of referral - and that it’s a primary medical service.

A friend who works at a rural surgery has advised me that there’s no bus route so people without their own transport are having to pay for taxis (approx £25 for some). The surgery themselves are not arranging transport at all and the voluntary transport services are very limited. It will be prohibitive for some, potentially those most at risk. Very frustrating.

Vonny
forum member

Send message

I have checked with DAF (the welsh local welfare scheme) and they have confirmed that although you cannot apply for the cost of travel to the vaccine appointment, if this resulted in someone not being able to afford food or fuel, as the result of an additional essential living expense caused by coronavirus (ie the essential taxi fare), they could apply for an emergency assistance payment if they can not afford their food/fuel and therefore are in an emergency situation.  This is subject to the rules limiting the amount of applications that can be made over a 12 month period.

So maybe worth checking with your local (if it exists!) scheme

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

Liz W - 25 January 2021 10:14 AM

provided pursuant to a referral by a medical practitioner

What makes this a consultant rather than a GP?

[ Edited: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:43 pm by Gareth Morgan ]
Liz W
forum member

Send message

Hi - I think it is, possibly arguably, a referral. and agree that ‘medical practitioner’ is broader than a consultant. However, I think it would be difficult to argue that vaccinations aren’t a primary care service. (And even if so, I don’t think there’s an appeal route for health care costs). Could advise complaint/MP.

I have got in touch with the welfare assistance schemes in the area - waiting to hear.

Thanks

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

For England only, we cover details of the NHS Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme in section 6 of our Help with health costs factsheet.

If referred by a doctor (GP or hospital doctor), dentist, optician or other ophthalmic professional to hospital or other NHS premises for diagnostic tests, treatment, or pre or post-operative checks, you may be able to claim a refund for reasonable travel expenses under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS).

The services:
⚫ must not be usual services available through your GP practice, dentist, or optician, and
⚫ you must make an extra journey to go to hospital or NHS premises for the test, treatment or consultation. This applies whether the test or treatment is provided at the premises where your GP or another health professional who issued the referral is based or at a different location (hospital or clinic).

Vonny
forum member

Send message

I had looked at the HC5W(T) form which said ‘If you are referred for NHS treatment under the care of a consultant, and you travel to receive that treatment, you can claim help with the cost of your travel on low income grounds.’
Where the England version says ‘You can claim help with the cost of travel if you are on a low income and have made an additional journey to receive NHS care following a referral by a doctor (GP or hospital doctor), optician or dentist.’

Vonny
forum member

Send message

I checked the Wales regulations and they state under the care of a consultant