× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Remote Working

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 205

Hi

As it looks like I’m going to have to be working from home fully again, I’ve got a couple of issues that I hope someone could suggest what I can do. Hopefully this is in the right forum category!

1). Not sure if I’m just being unlucky but I am struggling to speak to the DWP on behalf on our clients when they are not physically with me in the room (hence why we restarted face-to-face appointments for those type of enquiries). I have all the relevant details for an alternative enquiry to be established but most are outright refusing to speak to me.
Note: This isn’t a problem with UC or Health Assessment Providers (IAS & HAAS) but other benefits in particular PIP.

Any suggestions on what else I can do?

2). For PIP forms, I know lots of advisers are using an online “dummy” version of the form and having the client either write it onto the form or attach with form - I know from experience that 99% of our clients won’t/can’t write it onto the form.

Has the DWP been accepting/receptive of the typed sheets being attached?

Thanks

Adam

metahome
forum member

Citizen's Advice Reading

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Adam,

On the question of speaking to various govt departments, most are willing to speak to you if you have the client on the call - and, depending on your mobile phone plan, most network providers allow you to conference multiple parties together. Just look for an “add call” or “plus” symbol while in a call.

Regarding PIP applications - I have successfully used “Simplified PIP” which you can find at: https://digitalpip.lexisnexisrolfoundation.org/. This allows you to fill in all the details. You can then PDF it for emailing to a client or print to paper. This has been accepted if attached to the signed PIP form. For avoidance of doubt I usually ask the client to write in each answer box on the original form something like “Please see page XX of the attached document”. I have not had a PIP form done by this method rejected.

[ Edited: 5 Jan 2021 at 06:07 pm by metahome ]
Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

1) I normally have less issue if I start the conversation by clearly stating they’ll have to go off implicit consent. I keep their own guidance bookmarked - be prepared to ask to speak to a manager.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff#steps-to-take-when-deciding-whether-to-disclose-information (doesn’t cover UC)

2) I don’t think there is any legal basis for DWP to reject these alternative formats. Theoretically I think you could even send it without the PIP2, though this is known to cause an admin issue for DWP (they really want that barcode), so not recommended. You could challenge DWP on any issues.