× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Sad news

Greeny
forum member

Salford Welfare Rights (Health)

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Hello all, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Our friend and former Manchester Advice friend and colleague, Terry Patterson passed away unexpectedly over the festive holidays. Terry will be remembered for his fab training courses, work with NAWRA, policy work and lets face it - his good looks.

His daughter, Iona has asked for any fond memories, photos or the like of him that she would be able to keep and remember him by.

If you have anything to share please contact me and I will ensure it gets to her via her mum, Claire. My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The reason for his death is unknown, we know it was unexpected and there will be an inquest. Tragically he was found on Christmas eve.

Hope you all have a healthy and happy New Year.

[ Edited: 9 Feb 2021 at 10:52 am by shawn mach ]
shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

Such terribly sad news ... Terry was a fantastic and dedicated welfare rights adviser and policy geek ... and a lovely, lovely man ... it was always great to bump into him when our paths crossed. Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues. Rest in peace Terry .. xx

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Really sad news - Terry was a massive part of NAWRA and the north-west rep. We will miss him very much indeed.

SarahBatty
forum member

Durham Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 59

Very sorry to hear about Terry. I didn’t know him very well, but read his work over the years and knew his name very well. I spoke to him a few times about an article I co-authored in a Journal he edited, and he was obviously extremely knowledgeable but also very kind and supportive.

Mack67
forum member

Appeals and Disputes Advisor, NDCS, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Very sad news. Terry was one of the mainstays of Manchester Advice in its pomp. Very approachable for advice and incredibly knowledgeable not just about current stuff but he also had a great strategic overview what government might be planning in future. He was a creative trainer. I recall one training day he did which was punctuated by him playing snippets of Beatles songs at key stages. For example, We Can Work It Out (at the start of the benefits calculation bit); Magical Mystery Tour (the complicated qualifying conditions part). Sounds a bit cheesy but it really worked and helped you to recall the training for a long time afterwards. My condolences to his family at this time. RIP Terry.

Greeny
forum member

Salford Welfare Rights (Health)

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Thanks for your input and sharing. Terry’s side kick and friend, Jean Betteridge and Sophia Higgins also ex Manchester Advice, appeals officer and trainer have put together an evening to remember him by.

It’s for anyone who knew Terry and his welfare rights work through Manchester Advice, GMWRAG, NAWRA, Access To Advice, Manchester City Council and also other places that you know of but are not listed. Please feel free to share as far and wide as you like.

Hope the link works, if it doesn’t work or get corrupted, you can log into Eventbrite and search for ‘Terry Patterson’.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-tribute-to-terry-patterson-tickets-138494696365?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-source=cp&utm-term=destsearch

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

A really lovely tribute to Terry in the Journal of Poverty and Social Justice of which he was on the Board for many years - an unsung hero indeed -

Remembering Terry Patterson

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Can’t access it Daphne.

I’m getting “Your authentication to this fulltext delivery has expired. Please go back and try again by logging back into the site and requesting the document.”

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

oh sorry about that - try the attached instead :)

File Attachments

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

That works. Thanks Daphne. A lovely read too.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Yes seconded, that is such a lovely tribute to Terry.