Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

UC, shielding and sanctions

Darren
forum member

Welfare benefits - Disability Law Service, London

Send message

Total Posts: 37

Hi,

My client is on Universal Credit and has received a letter saying he should shield for November and December. He wants to know if he could get sanctioned if he doesn’t look for work.

I’ve recommended that he ask his work coach to amend his claimant commitment based on the letter he received, but does anyone know if there are any government guidelines that will help protect him from being sanctioned whilst he is shielding?

Thanks

[ Edited: 19 Jul 2022 at 10:21 am by Darren ]
Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Can’t see why advice to shield would remove a need to work search. Many people are working from home. It would be reasonable to exclude an expectation to apply for certain immediate jobs such as temporary jobs in supermarkets over the Christmas period..
More generally looking for a job now might not be due to start until January or even later.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I don’t know.

Might come under the ‘treated as LCW due to specific illness putting the claimant at risk etc’ regs. Did we ever get any clarification on this?

Darren
forum member

Welfare benefits - Disability Law Service, London

Send message

Total Posts: 37

Ianb - 10 December 2020 02:00 PM

Can’t see why advice to shield would remove a need to work search. Many people are working from home. It would be reasonable to exclude an expectation to apply for certain immediate jobs such as temporary jobs in supermarkets over the Christmas period..
More generally looking for a job now might not be due to start until January or even later.

Thanks, good point